Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Polishing plastic chrome

GerryM75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Executive Sedan/VF11 Calais V Wagon
Hi all,

When I was washing my wagon last week I noticed that the chrome strip across the rear door had spots on it.
They didn't come off with the wash and look like regular spotting you get on old metal bumper cars. As I looked over the car it's also on the rear badge and passenger side door handles but the drivers side and front look fine. This is because the car sits in a carport with the back and passenger side slightly exposed to the weather.
Anyway, my question is can I use a regular metal polish on those parts and if so can anyone recommend a product they've used before?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
My understanding is that a metal polish is a big no-no on plastic.
However are you sure it needs it? Plastic doesn't really oxidise in that way; have you tried something like getting a paper towel, absolutely saturating it, scrunching it up into a ball, and sticking it to the plastic so that the spots are soaked in just plain ol' water for 15 odd minutes?

Where are you ... Melbourne ... I still think it's worth a call or email to Car Care Products ... maybe they can afford to have good customer service because their products are very niche & probably relatively high-margin, but they're great at answering questions like this. :)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Autosol makes a plastic crhome polish. I'm going to have a guess that it's the start of it rising off the plastic.

GerryM75

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the replies.

Frog- I rubbed it really well with a microfibre cloth but it didn't move, so might try some paper.
Just to be clear, it's chromed plastic so is actual chrome, just much thinner than you find on an old car bumper or door handle.

Shane - Yep I saw that product so might order it through SCA. It's not actually lifting off, its just water stains from being exposed to the weather.

I'm usually pretty good with keeping it clean but have been a bit lazy being locked down and not actually driving anywhere so left it dirty probably longer than I should, so I think as a result it's just stained.
If you zoom in you'll see what I'm talking about:
IMG-20200730-WA0007.jpg

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Dry paper towel will produce swirl marks as will rubbing hard with a microfibre towel.

If it's water marks use a detailing spray and wipe with a microfibre towel.

If it's etching use a fine liquid polish and apply with a microfibre towel or applicator and buff with a microfibre towel.

If it's deep etching from not having the dust cleaned off it regularly than it's rooted.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Some light cutting compound on a cloth will make it look like new again.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Try a clay bar after you wash the car.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
If you live near or on the coast, salt attack can cause a mottled appearance of chrome. On the front of cars with a lot of chrome trim, roadblast is another (cosmetic) irritation. I have long thought the chrome trim on the rear (boot or tailgate) is metal, not plastic. If it is salt attack it could potentially be just the start and ought to be treated either by aggressive removal (very find 1200g paper and polishing compound then finishing, followed by sealing.

GerryM75

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you live near or on the coast, salt attack can cause a mottled appearance of chrome. On the front of cars with a lot of chrome trim, roadblast is another (cosmetic) irritation. I have long thought the chrome trim on the rear (boot or tailgate) is metal, not plastic. If it is salt attack it could potentially be just the start and ought to be treated either by aggressive removal (very find 1200g paper and polishing compound then finishing, followed by sealing.
I'm not near the coast so it's not salt, more just dirty water/rain stains and you may be right about the rear trim being metal - I'm probably making the assumption there's very little metal chrome on cars these days :).
The same issue is on the door handle faces which are plastic chrome on the Calais, and the grille which is most definitely plastic.

Thanks UTE042 - If I can't get hold of the Autosol M1 I'll grab something like what you have above.