Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Polishing your bananas

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
It can be done, I've seen bananas, smoothed over, with the injector cover bolt bosses been taken off and all, looked very nice, try for it man.

OK went out and bought 5 sheets of 80 grit so let's see what happens over Easter !

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
Go to a reputable tool shop,(i think i went to williams in elizabeth last time) & get yourself some flap wheels they range from what i've seen 60grit to 320grit & cost bugger all round $3.00ea Can be used in any die grinder or drill.Save heaps of time compared to sanding by hand,good to get into the tricky spots also.

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that, I'll try Gasweld in Light Sq. I guess theres no sense in having one arm that looks like Arnies after doing it all by hand :yeah:

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well 9 hours later and it's almost complete. Need a bit of paint for the base of the manifold where the bananas are, and a tad more polishing ! Just love that polishing ! This was a b*stard of a job because of how rough the casting is and the annoying nooks and crannies where the bananas come out of the manifold.

Image1-1.jpg

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You forgot the rest of the manifold: ), It actually a good thing to do on the banana (or any manifold), helps reflect alot of radiant heat off the manifold but I can't see the point in doing just the top, up for another 20-30 hours :)?

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Coopers Sparkling Ales + an 80 grit flap wheel to get most of the rough casting off which took about an hour and then progressively going through 120 to 1200 grit wet rub, good old brasso and then autsol. I also tried to use the dremel, but because of the tight corners etc it didn't help a real lot apart from he final polishing.

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
You forgot the rest of the manifold: ), It actually a good thing to do on the banana (or any manifold), helps reflect alot of radiant heat off the manifold but I can't see the point in doing just the top, up for another 20-30 hours :)?
Ha ha ha. Perhaps when I was 18 I'd consider it but now that I'm a tad older, stuff it ! Joking aside to do the rest with the gear I have at home would be pretty difficult. More like a job for someone with a sand blaster or what ever

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
bead blasting wouldnt make a difference besides cleanbing it. Top marks mate that look good. Flap wheels are sweet make life so easy i use them a lot at work

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
that looks top notch, looks like it was worth the effort, wanna do mine:p