Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pollen Filter for an SS VE

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
I get unwanted smells and odours entering the cabin even when the recycle button is pressed (on my 2007 VE SS) and the service centre told me it's because I don't have a pollen filter. Is this part easy to fit for the average diy person and where can I get instructions or a workshop manual?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
You need to remove the valance (covering over the outside part of the dash). Once removed you will see the air inlet and space for a filter. It is a rectangular shape a bit smaller than a standard air filter. The smell you are experiencing is likely to be as a result of the water not draining away from the condensor (you should see water dripping from underneth the transmission area of the car once you have parked it - after having used the a/c). Mould has very likely started to grow hence the smell. If not removed it will only get worse. The pollen filter will not reduce or prevent such odours getting into the vehicle. You need to identify the source/cause of the smell and then go about cleaning/removing it. Could be a major job though.
It is possible to clean the drain outlets by getting under the car and in the area of the transmission (usually r/h side) you should see a black rubber tube pointing downwards, it is a couple of inches long. Sometimes by gently inserting a piece of wire and jiggling it around you can clear any blockage. Just make sure you don't have your face directly below the outlet just in case it contains dirty shitty smelly water. Good luck.

Last edited:

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
I don't get smells in general rather I get whatever is outside the car - sorry I may not have been clear in my earlier post. I don't understand how the absence of a pollen filter is the cause. Am I getting bad information? Surely the point of the recycle button is to stop the outside air from entering the cabin?
When you say the dash covering do you mean the part under the steering column and above my feet?