Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'Pontiac' Commodore to stay!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The Pontiac G8 has been given a stay of execution -- well, from Holden at least.
Pontiac may be gone, thanks to the restructuring of General Motors in North America, but the memory of the famous car brand will live on for a little while yet -- on the other side of the world.
As the Carsales Network exclusively reported late last year, Holden introduced a special edition of its high performance SS-V sedan, which came with the twin-vent bonnet and sportier front bumper and grille used on the now defunct Pontiac G8 (pictured) export program.
But the limited run of Commodores has proved so popular that Holden has decided to continue building them indefinitely, according to a recent briefing to dealers.
The Carsales Network understands that customers will have the choice of the regular SS-V look, or the Pontiac look -- but the Pontiac look will still attract a $1000 price premium.
Holden introduced the special models in November 2009 when it gave the SS-V sedan, wagon and ute the Pontiac styling treatment, in a bid to clear some parts from the axed Pontiac export program.
Although the vehicles are no longer "limited" they are still expected to become collector pieces, given that they marked an important milestone in Holden's history: when it exported Australia's biggest selling car to what was the world's biggest car market (China has since overtaken the US).
Even though the limited edition SS-V models did not wear Pontiac badges, some dealers have begun ordering the Pontiac and G8 'jewelry' for customers.

'Pontiac' Commodore to stay! ? Car Reviews, News & Advice - CarPoint Australia

AR-70205012.jpg

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Clever piece of marketing.

Flog off a load of unused and otherwise unusable parts at a $1000 premium - probably more than they could have got by selling the bits separately to VE owners.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Not so much that the Pontiac brand is sticking around, more than as Calaber mentions they've found a good way to get rid of all those parts left over from The States.

Then again, perhaps Pontiac badges will become the new Chev badges, in which case the brand will live on - forever immortalised by the ignorant.

Dan VS 231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Senator
Not so much that the Pontiac brand is sticking around, more than as Calaber mentions they've found a good way to get rid of all those parts left over from The States.

Then again, perhaps Pontiac badges will become the new Chev badges, in which case the brand will live on - forever immortalised by the ignorant.

My thoughts exactly danja.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I'd be pissed if i bought one thinking it was limited, when its now going to be run of the mill.....

Last edited:

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom WL Caprice 5.7 V8
Dang those big nostrils are ugly! :spew: :emb:

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
I'd be pissed if i bought one thinking it was limited, when its not going to be run of the mill.....

+1 to that!

Admittedly I am a fan of them on the road though! I would get that option!

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
i like the fact that there so popular that there keeping it but all the people that bought it because they were a limited run wont be happy

Dan VS 231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Senator
I'd be pissed if i bought one thinking it was limited, when its now going to be run of the mill.....

Isnt that why some of the maybe VY-Z HSV models (not sure) were quoted at 297kw so to not piss of the people that just layed out large amounts for the GTS 300kw Coupe.