Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Poor handling

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hi guy's,

I have a Cruze SRI which came standard with 215/50/r17's, i have swapped them out for 235/35r19'. No issues fitting them, but it's affected the handling of the car. I expected the ride to be firmer over bumps ect, and it is. But i also expected it to handle better outright on really smooth roads, but it doesn't. The car seems to have a lot more body roll, and it feels like it's pitching in with the smallest of enthisiastic driving.

I know it's not a sports car and i'm not trying to turn it into one, i'm just finding in normal driving situations i'm having to take corners slower because of the feel and feedback from the car. I have checked the tires and the pressure is even at 40psi all round. The car doesn't pull to either side either, so i don't see any point in getting a wheel alignment?

I have ordered some H&R lowering springs which i'm still waiting to arrive, i'm guessing aside from the drop in height the ride will become firmer again, but should i expect to regain the lost handling?

Has anyone fitted larger wheels and has a similar issue? The tires are Accelera P1, which i know are cheap entry level tires, but the car came standard with Bridgestone eco friendlies, so i'd have thought they would at least be on par with them.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Should the wheels be re-alligned after changing the size of the wheels, tires?

M1LMO3

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Thanks Milo, might have to get it booked in for an alignemnt after i've fitted the springs. Before i changed the wheels over the handling wasn't too bad, the suspension is quite soft coming from a Focus Zetec, but it was still sharp enough through corners and didn't roll around much at all. I was expecting the same levels of roll through cornering with a bit firmer ride. The wheels were balanced before being freighted up.

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
You'll probably find the overall weight of the tyre and wheel at each corner has increased.
This makes the shocks slower to respond as there is more weight to push down.
Be interesting to see the weight of a mounted factory rim vs one of your new ones!

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I put 18's on the wife's car and I found that it felt more planted because there is less sidewall give.

Something to keep in mind, maybe you are finding it more rolly because he new tyre reduce under steer so the turns are harsher on the suspension?

Not sure. Odd situation you have there

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
SMJ, when i have the wheels off doing the springs i'll put them on the bathroom scale and report back.

Jets, the front feels like it pitches sort of like it would if you had really under inflated tires. I can't feel anything from the back end, but again i'm just talking about normal driving conditions.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
You may find that because the side wall is a lot stiffer, you get less flex or roll with the sidewall so the roll in the suspension is more exaggerated.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Thought i'd update this, i've since fitted the lowering springs, and there was a small improvement in handling, but over all i think i've just got used to how the car feels compared to having more tyre profile. Since doing wheels and suspension i drive a bit slower around town and really pay attention to what's on the road, so any sot of handling issue has sort of gone out the window now anyway :)

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
You could always think of upgrade your sway bar if your thinking of getting rid of the body roll. Not sure if one is available for the cruze but worth a look if they are easish to install.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just out of curiosity, how wide are these 19's? Even though you put larger diameter wheel on, you might still be getting roll from the tyre being on a skinny rim (the wider rim also gives more contact patch). Also, if you dare venture in to Aussie Top Gears review of the W427, the tester asks for smaller diameter wheels and gets a better lap in. Can't say I've seen to many track cars running anything bigger than an 18 either.