Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Poor mans' sub mod

alby1976

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange Gen3, VF Calais V Wagon, VY Calais L67
OK here goes.

The factory subs in the early 2000s vehicles have a paper cone in the factory subs, new subs are poly and all you have to do is tap them with your finger to hear the difference, this mod stiffens up the paper cone and can have good result, not as good as a poly cone sub, but much much cheaper, and still factory if you want to keep it that way but still sound better.

A mod that I did to a home theatre sub was to treat it with a craft glue (Mod Podge, like a watered down Aquadhere)
DSC_1472-1.jpg

Before the home sub just had a bass sound, but after it had that bass thump, night and day difference.

So, remove the subs from the parcel shelf, I left them in the plastic surround.
Next get a soft bristle tooth brush and clean out any degraded foam or rubbish from the cone and surround rubber.
DSC_1473-1.jpg DSC_1474-1.jpg DSC_1475-1.jpg

Next put a coat of mod podge on the cone with a brush, but not on any moving part, ie the surround rubber, let it soak in and dry for atleast 20mins and then reapply.
DSC_1476-1.jpg

Do this 6 or so times, you can do it on the underside of the cone for extra stiffness if you want.

I left it overnight before refitting, but you can see the difference. (Mainly as we had friends around, so between drinks I would give it another quick coat)
DSC_1477-1.jpg

Last edited: