Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

poor quality plastics

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
if the top of the steering wheel cover is lose on the framework, then the VL has likely been left parked in the sun a lot and most plastic in and on the car will be very brittle and will break easily

this includes the bumper bar top trim but apparently not the bumper bars
includes the hubcaps which can crack just from being removed

the instrument panel top cover breaks away easily where held by the 2 self tapping screws
the upper armrest / storage area between the front seats will usually break off it hit at the side due to weakness of the plastic

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
It's called age, not quality. The cars are near to 20 years old. You have to expect some breakage and wear over time......

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
its a good way to tell how a car has been treated over the years. me and my wife have just bought a mint condition vl of an old guy thats had it for 18 years and you can tell the plastic hasn't been in the sun. it still flexes without breaking. its getting harder to find the bits when they do break

Donald Nairn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 2002, acclaim Series 2
Re trim around the out side that has gone a mat grey, any ideas re what to apply to it ?????

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Donald Nairn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 2002, acclaim Series 2
New paint.
I don't think painting is for me, and not all plastic has the issue, just some that did not have good UV stabilization to start with, there seems to be endless choices via bottled products even the suggestion of brushing it with diesel oil, and hot air guns.