Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Popular VR problems?

Kirbs

L plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS II
Im considering getting a 94-95 VR. What are some problems that occur and how hard are they to fix?

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I don't know if any of the common faults are very popular with the owners but a few off the top of my head.

Transmission failure, Front wheel bearings, oxygen sensor, leaking power steering pump.

Good luck with the buy.

mar06mir

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II V6
I have a 1994 VR with 290K on the clock. I agree with Danny. So far I have replaced:
-transmission ($1,300)
-front wheel hubs ($500)
- belt tensioner
- water pump
- fuel pump
- front engine mounts
- various rubber bushes (stabilizer bars, panhard rod etc)
- fuel pressure regulator
- radiator
- other wear & ter stuff (brake pads, exhaust pipes, filters, plugs. HT cables etc)
I've learn to live with oil leaks - too $$$ to fix.

Hotblooded_VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 3.8 Series2 Executive Commodore Wagon
I own a 94 VR Series 2 Wagon bought in 1999 with 208K on the clock as of now. Had 2 fuel pumps replaced, so make sure you keep fuel tank always above 1/4 full as it keeps the pump lubricated in the tank...oxygen sensor replaced...coolant sensor replaced...leak in power steering pump and at the moment a probable fuel pressure regulator needs replacing as I'm using lots of fuel and blowing black smoke. Auto trans is ok and motor goes great with no major oil leaks. I had a huge issue when I first bought it only after 1 month. Ended up at a set of traffic lights on a hot day with aircon going and the car just died on me with smoke billowing out from under the bonnet. Had a fire in the fuse/relay box and had to have it towed home then repaired. Think it was a one-off problem by all accounts so dont let me scare you off. I'm very happy with the VR overall for the past 10 years and repairs have been relatively easy compared to my old V8 Brougham and V8 Statesman. Good luck.

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
I have a 1994 VR with 290K on the clock. I agree with Danny. So far I have replaced:
-transmission ($1,300)
-front wheel hubs ($500)
- belt tensioner
- water pump
- fuel pump
- front engine mounts
- various rubber bushes (stabilizer bars, panhard rod etc)
- fuel pressure regulator
- radiator
- other wear & ter stuff (brake pads, exhaust pipes, filters, plugs. HT cables etc)
I've learn to live with oil leaks - too $$$ to fix.

this list is EXACTLY what ive had to spend on mine....and now im up for a new K-Frame...but thats not really a common fault

mar06mir

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II V6
this list is EXACTLY what ive had to spend on mine....and now im up for a new K-Frame...but thats not really a common fault

What's a K frame, mate?

Kirbs

L plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS II
Well kick that idea off. Better to get a VS?
I don't like the VP.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
well i got a 5spd vr and replaced the clutch because of wear pretty much, you cant expect not to spend anything on a car you buy, its life thing WILL need replacing. Vr's have the torque from the buick engines like the vp and vn's but the same comfort as the vs's. The vs's are ecotecs so they dnt go as hard imo. Preference really.

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
My clubby had a wee on the driveway today....power steering hose luckily