Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Port and polish heads

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
Flowing the heads on my LS1 would it be worth the money seen as i am runing totaly stock internals...i am considering a cam in the near future though...

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Port and polish them, and increase compression while your at it. Will run good now (with proper tune) and will run awesome when cam goes in.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I don't think that's the first place you should start.
The heads flow more then enough for a standard LS1.

Try and find an LS6 manifold and port that a bit. People have reported 9-10kw increase through the rev range just doing that.

But really its hard to say without know exactly what your aim is.

BradSV8

Nitrous Junkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
I agree with Soop, I would start with the cam first and then down the track if you want a little more you can do the heads. ATM you will see a bigger gain doing a cam than doing the heads now. Another option would be too save some coin and go for a 6L or 6.2L conversion.

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
Hey Thanks for the advice im new to the ls1 seen i have only had my SS for 3 months...i am likeing the idea of a 6.2L conversion as i have another car i could put my LS1 into...what running gear would i have to change e.g(gearbox, diff) would my worked 4sp auto bolt up to an LS3 or would i have to change that to...either way it sounds like alot of work but the end product would be worth it