Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

port and polishing

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
well i want as much info as u can give me, anything about pros and cons, theoirs and opinions,
i found out that there is no production valves made for the rb30, so boring it out to bigger flow is a bit more pricey,

i got a quate for gettn a head fixed
- head $83 from the wreakers with all cam and valves etc
- $25 to get it striped down
- $50 to get it presure checkd for cracks
- $50 to machine it flat
- $425 port & polish + overhual
= $633
or
- head $83
- $25 strip it down
- $50 pressure check for cracks
- $50 to machine it flat
=$208
are these fair prices

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
VL Berlina 5speed said:
well i want as much info as u can give me, anything about pros and cons, theoirs and opinions,
i found out that there is no production valves made for the rb30, so boring it out to bigger flow is a bit more pricey,

i got a quate for gettn a head fixed
- head $83 from the wreakers with all cam and valves etc
- $25 to get it striped down
- $50 to get it presure checkd for cracks
- $50 to machine it flat
- $425 port & polish + overhual
= $633
or
- head $83
- $25 strip it down
- $50 pressure check for cracks
- $50 to machine it flat
=$208
are these fair prices

All sounds good prices, but should get valves lapped in and valve seals done while it's off..
Maybe get price on change over recon head too!!

Port if u got dollars and u don't need polish.. I'd go 4 a port clean up radiusing the bends in the ports and port matching if ur going 4 a cam later..

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
plus you need to put it on a flow bench if porting.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
The theory is behind the way the exhaust manifold is situated..
The heat collects at the rear of the head on a na and thats where they crack..

Turbo models collect in a more central position that way the heat can dissipate more evenly..

Extractors help on na vls to reduce the chance of head cracking...
well that is intressting

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
question. is there anyway to tell if it is the head gasket or cracked head with out taking it appart,
take a little while to drain the coolant in the overflow bottle, like a week or 2(i think).
would a cooling system pressure test tell waht is the problem?

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Someone told me they can test the head on the car and if its a minor hairline crack, a "chemical weld" can be done.

With regards to extractors, yeah that sounds right to me, the bloody heat sheild over the manifold traps too much heat and causes studs to become brittle and break, it only makes sense that the head would get heat damaged as well.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i didn't think there was any difference between N/A heads and turbo heads apart from the cam. how do they change where the heat collects?

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
bangers said:
i didn't think there was any difference between N/A heads and turbo heads apart from the cam. how do they change where the heat collects?
i dont know that got me stumped,
and ucwepn is that check u talking about is it called 'pressure testing'?

dan_man31

now projecting oh yeah :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ss-v 6spd ute
when you get extractors doesnt that also pull the heat away from the motor ... causing it to take longer to warm up ? just a problem my dad had with his ute although he didnt have a thermo fan also is the fan supposed to run when the car is turned on from cold ? just curious on a vl i mean?

dan

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Basically as i've told ucwepn before the rb30 mainly crack in the cam tunnel on the exhaust side and the crack's only going to get longer and make it harder to weld if it cracked you then need the cam tunnel rebored so the cam can move nice and free again. They also sometimes corrode through the water galleries and leak into the exhaust ports. The only difference between NA and turbo is cam we've compared the heads at work and there's no difference in ports vavles or similar things. The only way i could see heat difference is the turbo produces more heat therefore heating it more evenly. Pressure testing is when the water jacklets are sealed with a plate and compression is pumped into the water galleries it's then emersed into well basically water and bubbles will come out where a leak is. There is also vacumn testing where air is sucked out and if it holds a stables pressure normally would indicate no leaks. Pressure is far more accurute. Your top price sounds good pressure testing sounds pricey but worth it (peice of piss takes 5 mins). Chemical welding never heard of but its sounds risky. I'd say it might be quick fix but won't last long.