Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ported heads cammed ls1?

AlexH95

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Candy Green VY Clubsport #1102
Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone has previously had a cam kit done to their ls1 and decided to get ported and polished heads added at a later date? Would love to know first hand experiences regarding their thoughts on the upgrade? Worth it? Are
Fast manifolds worth it on a big cam & head combo?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Tbh I think most of the 'instant gains' people feel are more from getting 30-40 thou shaved off the heads than port work.

Ls heads are a decent design & plenty of people making good usable power with correct cam/compression choice.

Manifold is decent enough although be interesting to see if truck intakes add more torque as seppo's claim on the youtube....ls speed shop import/sell them...no idea if they fit under commodore bonnet.

AlexH95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tbh I think most of the 'instant gains' people feel are more from getting 30-40 thou shaved off the heads than port work.

Ls heads are a decent design & plenty of people making good usable power with correct cam/compression choice.

Manifold is decent enough although be interesting to see if truck intakes add more torque as seppo's claim on the youtube....ls speed shop import/sell them...no idea if they fit under commodore bonnet.
That makes sense. I’m very limited with what I can shave off the heads as my VCM13 cam specs might create themselves their own fly cuts in the piston heads. Ive read 6.0L & 6.2L heads are great from factory where as the LS1 heads are absolutely horrible for flow rate, hence why people say their is great gains to be made with decent head work on ls1s

H

harrop.senator

They flow pretty damn well compared to most other heads they're the engine that changed the pushrod game.

You'll be looking at 20-30whp gain and 2 tenths in the quarter.

But you're looking at 2k including springs + postage both ways.

Gaskets , head bolts lifters n buckets. Another K or so.

Tune another K or so.

So there's 4k no labour for 20-30whp and 2 tenths.

I'd spend the 6-7 on a side mount + tune or leave it as it is.

AlexH95

Reaction score
Members Ride
They flow pretty damn well compared to most other heads they're the engine that changed the pushrod game.

You'll be looking at 20-30whp gain and 2 tenths in the quarter.

But you're looking at 2k including springs + postage both ways.

Gaskets , head bolts lifters n buckets. Another K or so.

Tune another K or so.

So there's 4k no labour for 20-30whp and 2 tenths.

I'd spend the 6-7 on a side mount + tune or leave it as it is.
Very fair point mate.
I’ve been quoted $3200 to swap heads for a set of Higgins, labour, transfer springs, rods ect and dyno tune. So drive in drive out.
I’d love to sidemount but my 4l60e gearbox won’t allow for it unfortunately :(

H

harrop.senator

Why won't the 4l60 allow for it? Have killed " built ones" with 250rwhp , have done 3rd gear power skids a km long with whippled LS cars with a 4l60.

The gearbox builder is more important then the model. One of the local guys here few years ago went through 2x used and 2x " built " turbo 400's on the pad and was cursing because everyone told him to get rid of the 60 for reliability.

They're not the best box in the world nor the worst. Properly built by someone who actually knows what they're doing and not being tight is the secret.

Do you seriously think every single blown LS , 304 , 355 or turbo Ecotec are running 3 speeds or 4l80's?

H

harrop.senator

Also , don't re use springs and pushrods , they're cheap enough and been heat cycled . Beats damaging something internally.

Also who ever quoted you that is definitely looking after you.

I don't think I'd spend the money but.

AlexH95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Why won't the 4l60 allow for it? Have killed " built ones" with 250rwhp , have done 3rd gear power skids a km long with whippled LS cars with a 4l60.

The gearbox builder is more important then the model. One of the local guys here few years ago went through 2x used and 2x " built " turbo 400's on the pad and was cursing because everyone told him to get rid of the 60 for reliability.

They're not the best box in the world nor the worst. Properly built by someone who actually knows what they're doing and not being tight is the secret.

Do you seriously think every single blown LS , 304 , 355 or turbo Ecotec are running 3 speeds or 4l80's?
I’ve been through 2 4l60e with moderate driving, so I don’t like my chances. Say if it’s a 50/50 chance of holding up or not, I’m not really interested in spending 11k+ on forced induction and have to stress about if it’s going home on a tow truck or not. If I got boost I can 100% assure you I’d be using it properly and getting my money’s worth. Which I highly doubt the box would enjoy.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Ls1 heads are pretty good probably better for the street than later model heads that flow more...doesn't mean bigger heads are better for your application.

If supercharged is the goal no point building angry n/a setup then changing it again to suit blower

H

harrop.senator

I’ve been through 2 4l60e with moderate driving, so I don’t like my chances. Say if it’s a 50/50 chance of holding up or not, I’m not really interested in spending 11k+ on forced induction and have to stress about if it’s going home on a tow truck or not. If I got boost I can 100% assure you I’d be using it properly and getting my money’s worth. Which I highly doubt the box would enjoy.

You've gone through 2 built 4l60's?

What was done to them internally and how did you kill them?