Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Peteriod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
ok, so i originally had a coolant leak above by water pump in a +410K Kilometer Vs 1996 statesman. I changed a couple of a o-rings that went through to the aircon and other coolant passages. This seemed to fix the problem. This was quite a large leak at the time with lots of coolant sitting on top of the intake manifold base. After flushing the coolant, i continued to drive the car around like normal everything seems to run smooth, but i would lose a lot of coolant through the reservoir at first i assumed this was just normal. But then there was an increasing amount of pressurized coolant coming through the reservoir which would blow the receiver hose off and dissipate. From here i really should of stopped driving it, but i idiotically kept driving to the extent it need more coolant. When i filled it up from radiator cap, the car would not start ( FYI i had just moved the car to flat surface before this whilst turning on fine). I first checked things, like spark plugs and leads, fuel injectors, fuel pump and what not, but i judged they were all ok. So i had correlated that filling the car up with the coolant had somehow caused it not to turn on (occasionally it would splutter on for a few seconds). So after doing some reading and matching a few things i decided it could be the Head Gasket. from here i took off the intake manifold. When doing so i noticed that my intake manifold gaskets were not in good shape and one particular hole was worn and cracked severely. As seen in pictures, this hole was a coolant hole and was right above where the original leak was and the bolt that corresponded to it, was the only bolt i took out that was a mix of coolant, oil and grit it was very dirty and very loose, finger tight.
So what i am asking is whether this could be the problem? could this damaged part of the intake manifold gasket have caused the car to not start have let air in or caused the coolant to be overly pressurized? at the moment i am trying to decide whether or not i am going to change Head gaskets as well. I knew on the route to them i would find problems however i am not sure if this could have caused the car not start. Any advice would be most appreciated.
87507833_221828255654774_1377083166409359360_n.jpg 85220202_627952564708082_8886439106683338752_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
One things for certain here and that is you are going to replace the Inlet valley set. Don't forget to put ample sealer at the mating corners where the face gaskets come in contact with the rubber cross pieces. This is the main mistake most people make and thus end up with vacuum leaks which create their own set of issues. After you've done that take it from there as you are eliminating one big problem that all "V" format engines face over time.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
This is probably the biggest and most common fault on these V6 engines (the intake gaskets that is).

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Typical valley cover gaskets, when they wear out....You'll find, once you replace those gaskets, your problems will be solved.....And it is typical of this era engine, as well as the buicks

I very much doubt the head gaskets would have failed.

Immortality beat me to the enter button :)

Peteriod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Yeah thanks guys, i hope the head gaskets are fine, thanks for advice!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON