Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

possible inhibitor switch issues

Damo-xo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE series ll
just replaced my gearbox in a 2009 ve ((sv6 series ll) 4 speed auto) with a box from a 2008 ve commodore (4 speed to ofc) and I noticed the 2009 box has an internal inhibitor switch and the 2008 box has an eternal switch...

car wont turn over as in no starter motor activity (it's connected and fitted properly).

looking in engineering mode it says Inbetween Ranges, so I'm assuming that the starter won't spin because it's not in P or N even know it's in park..... If there is a way to perhaps bypass the inhibitor switch that would be good.....

Another issue we thought of is that the crank sensor out of whack because the engine had to be turned over to undo ring gear bolts...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Unless you damaged it taking out the trans and refitting it I don't see it being an issue. Flex plate bolts or converter bolts?

Damo-xo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE series ll
the inhibitor is on the outside of the gearbox i just put in and on the one I pulled from my car it's on the inside... I don't have a connection for the outside switch

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was referring to the CAS.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I would say, because the new gearbox has an external inhibitor switch, that's not connected, the car doesn't recognise it is in either park or neutral, so it won't engage the starter.

How to solve it...you might have to wire up the new gearbox inhibitor switch from the old internal inhibitor switch....

To do that, you would need a wiring diagram, or seek help from an auto electrician.

As for any other cause....I seriously doubt....If you think...How could the crank angle sensor be out of wack, by simply undoing some flywheel bolts....If this was the case, by the motor running, it would throw the sensor out of wack and it doesn't....

I put it all down to the inhibitor switch...

Damo-xo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE series ll
I would say, because the new gearbox has an external inhibitor switch, that's not connected, the car doesn't recognise it is in either park or neutral, so it won't engage the starter.

How to solve it...you might have to wire up the new gearbox inhibitor switch from the old internal inhibitor switch....

To do that, you would need a wiring diagram, or seek help from an auto electrician.

As for any other cause....I seriously doubt....If you think...How could the crank angle sensor be out of wack, by simply undoing some flywheel bolts....If this was the case, by the motor running, it would throw the sensor out of wack and it doesn't....

I put it all down to the inhibitor switch...
yeah thanks mate we found a really good vid on it

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Last edited:

Damo-xo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE series ll
To complicated for me.
Good luck.

Should have just got the right tranny?
the only difference is the inhibitor switch is external... I've found the wires I need to play with.. I'll fill everyone in tomorrow.

maybe it will work