Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible Issues using Car Covers

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I will make a new Thread so I don't highjack another member thread.

I have issues with the PAINT on my old VR Commodore that has a good old paint and never been resprayed. Now I had this car from just about new as I got it as a demo with few k's on the clock but ever since I keep it out of the Garage (too many cars) and bought the first cheap car cover I have dull marks on the bonnet, roof, and the boot lid.
After this I cut and polished it out (around 95% gone) I bough a Expensive Autotecnica Storm Guard cover and used another new cheap cover over the top to protect Autotecnica but i have similar issues that look like the original issues. Who knows maybe the Autotecnica cant breath as it has a cover over it and causing to scuff or over heat the old paint. Truck Knows.
Yes the paint looks DULL in some sections (around the size of a tennis ball) and some cases (two only) on the roof it the size of a foot ball, and one one bonnet he size of a foot ball.

I did not take shots on the bonnet and the roof.

The Boot with about 5 dull marks. THE SAME ON THE OTHER SIDE You can barely see it.

A distance shot of the Tennis ball dull marks on the boot. Now the first time it happened it took me 30 minutes to hand buff them away about 95% gone. Not only it was dull you can close you eyes and feel them. but this time you can see them but not feel them as bad as the first lot months ago

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
everyone who knows knows that car covers damage paint.

the main downsides are and this applies to a lot of peoples use cases.

Car needs to be spotless before use. Car will get scratches from repeated movement especially when stored outside. These two cover most peoples use cases and yeah - they are unsuitable for most.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
everyone who knows knows that car covers damage paint.

the main downsides are and this applies to a lot of peoples use cases.

Car needs to be spotless before use. Car will get scratches from repeated movement especially when stored outside. These two cover most peoples use cases and yeah - they are unsuitable for most.
Now the issue for me is not scratches, it a section that is DULL as concrete and when you use cut and polish and put you elbow in its 99% gone. Yesterday I did the boot then the roof Used supercheap SUPER CUT https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-super-cut-polish-300g/339249.html
then I finished with Super Hard Liquid Turtle Wax https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/turtle-wax-turtle-wax-hard-shell-liquid-wax-473ml/1037.html
and its 99% gone.
There has to be a reason why i'm getting these concrete dull spots. Yes took 45 minute to rectify the boot and the roof of the car.
I will do the bonnet today if it does not rain.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
if you need to use something that cuts it's done some pretty bad damage OR it wasn't in a great state to start with.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
if you need to use something that cuts it's done some pretty bad damage OR it wasn't in a great state to start with.
The paint on the Vr Commodore is very good for its age look at the photo's I have supplied, you can see a good shine

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
As an aside I imported a 1966 Vespa Super from Vietnam, (they do them up over there and sell them on eBay) when they wrap and box them, they often use bubble wrap around the the scooter. Now mine was pretty good, I must be honest, but I do know guys who have received their scooters only to find that the bubble wrap has affected the paintwork. Maybe the paint was not hard enough or the bubble wrap rubbing on the paint work whilst in transit along with moisture from sweating caused the problem.
I guess any contact with a cover of sorts will have some effect on a cars paint work.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it a series 1 or 2 vr?
Series 1...... I had a good look at the paint whilst in the car park lower at Morayfield Shopping Centre which has the perfect place to see at a angle with filtered light and i can say it has damaged the paint on the roof and the bonnet, boot fair to ok. Funny thing is at Home in the Full Light or a cloudy day you can't see it but in the particular place in that car park you can see it. Using my head up and down left and right you can see it but I used my hands to cut it back which is no good. I NEED A Proper buff and why and what is causing this issue because of two car covers not allowing the first one the expensive one to breath.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Series 1 was the last of the acrylic spray jobs. They moved to 2k on series 2 and beyond. I would say your paint is more the issue than the cover, acrylic is not hardy and prone to weathering. A good option for longevity would be a professional nano coating which puts a hard ceramic shell over the paint

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 was the last of the acrylic spray jobs. They moved to 2k on series 2 and beyond. I would say your paint is more the issue than the cover, acrylic is not hardy and prone to weathering. A good option for longevity would be a professional nano coating which puts a hard ceramic shell over the paint
Interesting!!!