Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible lifter rattle

PCD1965

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline V8 Ute
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has experienced what sounds like a noisy lifter on the 2014 VF SSV Redline ( Auto AFM )
Mine has clocked 33000KM now and I have noticed a ticking noise only when the motor is warm on the passenger side of motor.
I tested with a stone cold motor on startup and after 10mins idle noticed only a faint ticking noise, then went for a quick drive and it was quite noticeable.
Car was just recently serviced at a different holden dealer from before, and cant say I noticed it before.
Just wondering if maybe oil viscosity could be different as it seems quiet when cold.
Anyway looks like a trip to my holden dealer for a listen :hmmm:

Last edited:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has experienced what sounds like a noisy lifter on the SSV Redline
Mine has clocked 33000KM now and I have noticed a ticking noise only when the motor is warm on the passenger side of motor.
I tested with a stone cold motor on startup and after 10mins idle noticed only a faint ticking noise, then went for a quick drive and it was quite noticeable.
Car was just recently serviced at a different holden dealer from before, and cant say I noticed it before.
Just wondering if maybe oil viscosity could be different as it seems quiet when cold.

If its new might be the oil from new dealer, our AFM SS was noisy on any oil but the 5w30, run my L98 ute on 10w60 edge

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Could be oil , it will be under warranty still , take it back to the service department and see what they say .

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Hi

You raise a point of interest with me as well, a very different car, but my VX R8 Clubby sounds OK when first started, but after some minutes idling you start to hear tap tap tap noise. 15 year old car, but it has just under 100,000Km on it and even then I believe the engine was changed around 38,000Km due the piston slap issue with the LS1's at that time. I've had the car nine years (it had 68,000 Km when I bought it, so I've only done about 30,000Km in that time). Pretty sure it has been pretty much the same since I've had the car.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The AFM engines are having problems with lifter failures i read somewhere, i think the lifters were turning and the rollers were getting smashed apart by the cam or something like that. Someone will have more info on them.

PCD1965

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline V8 Ute
Lifter failures -That doesn't sound good at all - Hopefully mine is more oil viscosity related as its quiet when cold and only just noticeable after 10mins idle time - then after I drive for a while and warm it appears

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Lifter failures -That doesn't sound good at all - Hopefully mine is more oil viscosity related as its quiet when cold and only just noticeable after 10mins idle time - then after I drive for a while and warm it appears

I've not heard or read of any lifter issues with the L77. The original AFM (L76 had lifter issues from what I understand). I have a VF Reddline AFM and my lifters are a little noisy since I had the extractors fitted. Nothing that bothers me. More mechanical rattle than a tap and it's not loud by any stretch. Aluminum transmits sound more than cast iron, so all the LS's and alloytec family V6's transmit internal noise more than the old cast iron blocks. I did change to Penrite Ten Tenths oil when the engine was around 15K old. It did not like it at all! Very rattly. Despite Penrite claiming it was suitable for our engine! So I changed back to 50W-30 straight away. Engine sounded much better.

I suspect your dealer will tell you it is normal, and they are probably right. But I'm interested to hear what they say.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
I've not heard or read of any lifter issues with the L77. The original AFM (L76 had lifter issues from what I understand). I have a VF Reddline AFM and my lifters are a little noisy since I had the extractors fitted. Nothing that bothers me. More mechanical rattle than a tap and it's not loud by any stretch. Aluminum transmits sound more than cast iron, so all the LS's and alloytec family V6's transmit internal noise more than the old cast iron blocks. I did change to Penrite Ten Tenths oil when the engine was around 15K old. It did not like it at all! Very rattly. Despite Penrite claiming it was suitable for our engine! So I changed back to 50W-30 straight away. Engine sounded much better.

I suspect your dealer will tell you it is normal, and they are probably right. But I'm interested to hear what they say.

Agree, dealer will say normal. Failed lifters are actually quite loud and the ticking increases with RPM. L77 lifters are improved from the L76 and we don't have the same issues the the VE's had.

Our engines are noisy, always have been and always will be. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
What oil did your dealer use?? I just had my SSV in for a service and the dealer used Helix HX AJ 10w-30 now mine sounds like a truck after its warmed up.

PCD1965

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline V8 Ute
Not sure still waiting for a reply from Metro Holden Adelaide ( charged $59 for oil so I guess they would get synthetic cheap in bulk ? ) - I have a Castrol service sticker in window - prior to that it was a Valvoline one from my local dealer here in Port Augusta ( probably doesn't mean much though ) - Will keep you all posted as I am at work away and will take the car in next week when home to local dealer and get them to listen and maybe drop the oil.

Last edited: