Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

possible pressure prob...

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
a few months back i posted about my oil pressure gauge consintly being at 5 (max) never lowering as the car got warmer,

well today i was watching a tv show called American Hot Rod on discovery channel and they had a problem with a motor not generating any oil pressure, they found the problem to be the oil pick up was to close to the sump causing it to be unable to suck up oil,
now my sump has a big dent in it from when my old car was crashed, could this be the possible cause to the guage not moving, as its not cauing any pressure or little?

i have change sensors cleaned the guage its self and check the cables are in but hasnt worked.

and on another not when i put my foot down and gets bit higher in the rev range like 4000rpm it makes a ratterling noise like a bolt is loose cauing somethign to vibrate, my first thought was sump-dent-no oil pressure-no oil getting to top of motor-something get stuffd and ratterling
does this sound right? i will check over the motor for any loose this tommorow

samvlcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
my does the same (doesn't tick though). i replaced the gauge and had it pressure tested and its all okay but the gauge is still faulty... one of those VL quirks i guess. try GAUGEWORKS they're pretty good with **** like that.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
I fitted an autometer gauge, and it works fine.

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
a few months back i posted about my oil pressure gauge consintly being at 5 (max) never lowering as the car got warmer,

well today i was watching a tv show called American Hot Rod on discovery channel and they had a problem with a motor not generating any oil pressure, they found the problem to be the oil pick up was to close to the sump causing it to be unable to suck up oil,
now my sump has a big dent in it from when my old car was crashed, could this be the possible cause to the guage not moving, as its not cauing any pressure or little?

i have change sensors cleaned the guage its self and check the cables are in but hasnt worked.

and on another not when i put my foot down and gets bit higher in the rev range like 4000rpm it makes a ratterling noise like a bolt is loose cauing somethign to vibrate, my first thought was sump-dent-no oil pressure-no oil getting to top of motor-something get stuffd and ratterling
does this sound right? i will check over the motor for any loose this tommorow

Hmmm Dents in the sump not good but don't guess use a gauge like this to tell the real story:thumbsup:

Attachments

• pressure gauge.jpg
    pressure gauge.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 130

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
nah it wont be the sump, if you wernt gettign any oil up the top it wouldnt last very long before you started to hear very bad sounds at all RPM.

i would say 99% its the pressure sender.
there are 2 sorts for the vl, a on or of seosor and a resistor, the resistor works by the lower pressure it picks up the less voltage it transmits and higher pressure = more voltage to the gauge, makign it show more pressure. now the on off sensor works by no voltage when no pressure and full voltage when there is somethign like above 15PSI (psi is just a guess). Iin your berlina i'm guessing you have a gauge not just the oil light. if you have he on off switch, and you have pressure it will be givign full voltage causign the gauge to constantly show the max pressure. get the resistor type of sensor, probably from repco and change it over it should be fine then.