Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

possible rear main seal leak. is that a good excuse for a manual conversion ?

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
well ive done a bit of reading around and ive been loosing a bit of oil, at first look it was the rocker cover gaskets leaking down to the back of the motor making it appear as a rear main seal leak now rocker cover gaskets are fixed they no longer leak but i was still loosing oil theres like a metal dome bash plate type thing with a hole in it thats got a bit of oil around it and it had a drip of oil on it

i cleaned it off took it for a run left it and checked it a few hours later and the drip of oil has formed again but i dont notice any oil on the drive,

so if it is actually my rear main seal and people are saying that they need to pull the transmission out to replace it would getting the rear main seal replaced be a good excuse for a manual conversion ??? as most of the cost is in labour and the labour is to pull the box out ? could they just change the seal/warped plate while they are at it

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
sounds like my RMS leak, it's there, but the driveway's still clean. Oh well.
Yeah I reckon it's a good excuse for a manual conversion, if you want a manual. pulling out the trans is the easier (and cheaper) way to do it, but when I asked a trans shop about replacing the seal while they serviced my trans, they said not a chance. maybe you'll have some luck.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
they dont pull the transmission out to service it so that would explain that, either that or i bight the bullet and just get the rear main seal done and keep it as a colum shift auto instead of converting it to a floor shift manual

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
www.notdadzkustoms.cjb.net
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
I had to get the rear main seal in my vs done about 2 months ago because it was leaking oil like nothin else, i would say if its not leaking too badly dont worry too much about it because its a very costly job to get done. With mine they said that its just as easy to pull the entire engine and gearbox out to do it as they need to line the seal up with a special tool to get it exactly right, if its not done right it will leak soon after it gets fixed like mine did when the engine was rebuilt and 5000kms later it started to leak because they didnt use the tool to put it in properly,

I got quoted about $1000 and 2 days from Holden to get it fixed, i then went to another place who said they would do it for $800, it ended up costing me $2000 because there were a few other problems that i was unaware of at the time and they had the car for 6 days, but only charged me for 12 hours labor.

So as for the part about puttin in the manual box i would say if you can afford to do it, then do it now because its a hell of alot better then the old coloum shift.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Good excuse to fit extractors while you've got the block out if you haven't done so already ! :)

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Actually its' an even better reason to throw the motor away and fit an L67 with the works and retain the column auto !!!

The look of Gen 3 pilots when you'll screeming along side them whilst shifting on tha tree would be priceless !!!! LMAO !!!

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
well i do like the colum shift auto better than the floor shift its pretty handy to have a 3 seater ute wouldent feel like a ute without it id love a L67 but ive got limited funds i wouldent mind a great deal if they actually fixed the leak and not stuffed me around like others have been