Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible Starter Motor Issue??????

matty69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Need someones opinion.

Every time I start my VZ now it cranks and then ticks a few times and then finally starts.
I have checked the alternator and it is charging at 14.4 and the battery holds a charge at 12.5 when the car is off.
Could this be a starter motor issue?

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Most likely , get under an check the terminal on the starter where the main power feed from the battery connects to an give it a good wiggle , if its loose then ur starter is shot . If not how olds your battery?? it may be on the way out . Also check that your battery terminals are in good condition and are clean and tight

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Another thing is to drop test your leads , Goggle "voltage drop test " and you will find instructions on how to do it , its a bit in depth to post here

matty69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thanks for the quick reply.
Not sure how old the battery is. I'd say it a few years old but it seems to be holding its charge. I will check the wiring though.
Thanks

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Just cuz the battery appears to be 'holding a charge' spear mean so. I thought the same thing, had similiar problems but replaced the battery and all was better, or, have u checked that the car is slow draining the battery?

If ur in Brisbane I can get you a battery for $36

vncruzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
yeah mate check your battery first as it can hold charge and will be taking 14.5 from alternator but if it has dropped a cell it wont have enough cranking amps to turn over the starter....take it to your local auto shop if their half decent they'll check it for you....

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Have your battery 'load tested'. Even though it may seem to have sufficient voltage it may not be capable of producing high enough voltage to handle the starter motor. If it is 2 - 3 years old then it has probably reached the end of it's useful life.

matty69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
G'day.

I jumped started the vehicle today to give it more power and started first go without any problems so i will be changing the battery.

Thanks for your help.

Matt