Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible to recover data from RAW device?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hey all. A few days ago my iPod Nano decided it would change its file system from FAT32 to RAW, and my PC doesnt want to read it. The funny thing is that it still plays music, and I can see and access the files when connecting it to the PS3, so the file table cant be completely lost! I would just use the PS3 to recover the files but I cant directly copy from one USB device to another, and the PS3 wont like some of the file types.

So is there any way to recover my files? Preferably cost-free :p. Normally I would just do a new format but I have TAFE work and various other files on it that I dont want to lose.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
another software that you could try would be "GetDataBack" for NTFS. It has an option to read RAW data. has helped me retrieve data in the past.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I had a look at 'Recover My iPod', but it only recovers music and movie files. But they also had 'Recover My Files' which I gave a go but it ended up freezing. I diddnt like it anyway, felt too bloated. I then tried 'GetDataBack' for FAT. It came back with a lot of false partitions (some around 2GB each, which when all added up was bigger than the iPods capacity). But one of them was correct, and I managed to retrieve ALL my files intact and previously how they were. Im wrapped about that!

Thanks heaps for the recommendation! Rep added.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
True that. I did make a backup of all my work on the TAFE server, but that was a few days beforehand so it wouldnt have had any recent files or updates. Now I will try and update more frequently. You never truly learn something until it happens to you. :p

Last edited: