Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possibly a Water Pump issue VX

onehappycamper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx Berlina S2
Hi all,

Looking to confirm - got home last night to find that the VX had a puddle of water dripping from under it. Not radiator or hoses. However, I saw that it was dripping from the front end underneath the serpentine belt off of the front end of the oil sump. Couldn't see any water coming from the water pump, but I suspect that's what it is. I ran some coolant through it this morning only to see it pour onto the floor. Frustrating thing is that I can't see any leaks from the pump or the seal - it's just too 'busy' in there to clearly see it. If the pump is leaking, should I be able to see coolant coming from it or can it be a sneaky thing to visibly see until it's dripping from the outside of the sump?

I can't locate where it is coming from? Is this normal for a leaking water pump?

TYIA.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If it is leaking at he centre it will be the water pump. There is a small hole at the bottom of the housing where the shaft is that it usually leaks from.

onehappycamper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx Berlina S2
Ok - thanks. I haven't noticed it - I'll check again later. If it's not leaking from there, any further suggestions?

justcruzing1

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT "S"
Hi Onehappycamper, guess your not so happy at the moment as was I when mine went.

I had just bought the old crap and started a new job. Itlet go on brand new pure whit concrete parking area at head office!! Ha Ha HA I was still replacing it at 7.30pm that night after work with a small torch in my mouth :)

It is exactly as mine went, it at first seemed like I had done a seal on the harmonic balancer and i was shitting myself.

A co worker took his mobile phone put it on camera at the front lens and then stuck it in the tiny gap and I pored coolant in and out it came. He could see it on the mobile phone screen so try that.

If you haven't had a bearing sound from it then it will likely be just a gasket has let go but the water pump isn't expensive, $50-60?? if memory is right so maybe worth replacing it anyhow.

Take extra care to remove the old gasket, every little bit i didn't, then put it back together and it leaked, had to do it all over again. Due to discoloring of the metal Stain, it is hard to see the stuck on gasket in parts.

Good luck with it.

onehappycamper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx Berlina S2
Thanks for the responses. I bet work was happy! What a way to make an impression.

I am confident that it's the water pump - I stuck a dried up dish cloth at the bottom of the pump and wedged it between the pump and the serpentine belt. Poored coolant through the system and the cloth became rather wet. Took the colth away and it started dripping down the front. I guess I am up for some maintainance and a visit to Bursons over the weekend. Any particular brand you guys would recommend? It seems from the forums there's a few out there. At least it's a job that a hack can do....

D

devilly

what comes off yours goes back on some have shim plates some don't.i found my $62.00 water pump caused me nothing but problems, bearing went in it a few weeks after i put it on so i have the one for $160 something on it for the last summer and now coming up to this summer.grab the silicone blue that is sensor friendly and go slow and steady.have fun :)

onehappycamper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx Berlina S2
Thanks for the heads up. I got a quote from Bursons today saying they can supply a GMB branded one for $97. He seemed pretty confident in them, and others on here have said that they are a good buy. I'll go and get it in the morning and have a good go at getting it on the beast after that. Anything else I should change/check while the belt is off and I'm in that general area?

D

devilly

i just done a big clean up so i would be able to see if anything was leaking.and make sure you clean the engine facing for the water pump well before putting new one on :)i grabbed blue gasket stuff sensor safe and then thread locking stuff :)