Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Post Cap Price Servicing - 96k km and beyond charges

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
My Calais ZB is up for 96k km servicing - unfortunately, this is going to be the first time servicing without cap pricing. How much am I expected to pay for this "log book" servicing - with the Holden registered dealer as I do not want any issues with the remaining tenure of my warranty?

I am based in Melbourne.

Is it worthwhile to consider non holden service centres moving forward?

What is your experience?

Thanks.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
My Calais ZB is up for 96k km servicing - unfortunately, this is going to be the first time servicing without cap pricing. How much am I expected to pay for this "log book" servicing - with the Holden registered dealer as I do not want any issues with the remaining tenure of my warranty?

I am based in Melbourne.

Is it worthwhile to consider non holden service centres moving forward?

What is your experience?

Thanks.

holden used to have lifetime cps which would have put it at $399 for the diesel but now that is gone the best way to find out will be to ask the dealer for a quote and also try asking an independent mechanic for a quote.

it is probably better to establish a servicing relationship with a good independent mechanic and go back to them from now on because holden is dead and the dealers will all be changed to other franchises soon so a good independent mechanic will be the best choice moving forward.

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
Ok. I was quoted the following for 96k km logbook service by the following ex-dealers. Mine is a 2L Diesel - so have expected to pay more vs petrol engine.

a) Brighton Holden - $950
b) Ferntree Gully Holden - $500 to $550
c) Paterson Cheney Holden - $ 650
d) Waverley Holden - did not quote but willing to match other dealers

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
I just had my 96k km logbook servicing. Chose Paterson Cheney as they were the nearest, did not want to travel too far during lockdown.

Nice bits:

(i) Pleasantly surprised that they used full-synthetic engine oil - think it was the Havoline ProDs LE. I am not sure whether this is an upgrade but the previous servicing dealer (where I bought the car from) only offered Castrol semi-synthetic Magnatec. I can feel the difference with the new oil - engine is quieter when idling& cruising and a lot less smoke when I floor the pedal. With the smoke, I have always suspected it was to do with the Magnatec - seems my suspicion is correct after all. Btw, mine is a diesel so Dexos 2 is a prerequisite.

(ii) Comprehensive list of summary of items checked/replaced. Again, pleasantly surprised they measured the thread left on my tyres and thickness of my brake discs.

(iii) Friendlier staff. At least they did not call or pester you halfway thru the servicing to upsell aircon compressor oil top ups, wiper & cabin filter changes etc. I get this with every service at the last dealer. Makes you feel like a lesser person if you did not do what they suggest.

Not so nice bits:

(iv) When checking my car in for servicing, the service rep wanted me to pay $190 more than what they had earlier quoted on the phone (i.e. before I confirmed the booking). Told them this was a mistake and had to engage in a few rounds of arguments/justifications for them to reluctantly concede with the agreed price - did not feel good at the time. At time of collection, the rep actually apologised for the price misunderstanding earlier in the morning - all good.

Business must be bad - only saw my car when checking in and during collection.

TeePee53

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV
If it is the Patterson Cheney in Vermont/ , I originally purchased my car from them and have had three services carried out by them, the last one a few weeks ago at 36K. Always found them good and never tried anything on, car ready when expected. Each time was reasonably busy with 6 or seven cars before me at about 8.15 am. All services say synthetic oil used and my first 3 services were free.

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
Just got my Calais 2.0T Diesel 108kkm servicing done last week at Ferntree Gully holden. Damage at $345 :( Difficult to get a service slot, had to wait a month after booking.

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
Major 120k km service quote:
(i) Booran : $ 1250
(ii) Waverley Holden: $1200
(iii) Ferntree Gully: $1150
(iv) Paterson Cheney: $ 1206

I know the car needs new time belt but can someone indulge me why it costs so much?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Major 120k km service quote:
(i) Booran : $ 1250
(ii) Waverley Holden: $1200
(iii) Ferntree Gully: $1150
(iv) Paterson Cheney: $ 1206

I know the car needs new time belt but can someone indulge me why it costs so much?

if they are replacing the belt then it will be labour costs.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
They don't use a timing chain.....? Jesus even my early 2000 toyotas used a timing chain

i dont know what they use in the zb diesel.