Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Post tunes

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Hi all any body got comments on getting a tune through the mail , i have a vf v8 there is a company that does them for $450.00 they send a device with the tune you put a deposit on the device flash you car all done . Send the device back get your deposit back . Any body done this ? Cheers

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
You will open a big can of worms with this question, some on here will flame you for even thinking about it.
I have a tune from Oztrack in my LS3, very happy with it but I bought the Flash Scan V2 and VCM OTR as well. This gives me the option to learn a bit myself too.
People will say, you won't know if your AFR's are correct, well I do as I also have a WO2 and the AFR's are spot on.
I guess it depends who the tuner is, but I have positive feedback for Oz.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
AutoCal is better than a resistor box you plug in to the accelerator pedal that's for sure!
I did remote tuning for several years as a customer, recently rented it out to a few guys too. $450 is less than two tyres, a fraction of rego, four tanks of juice. Be aware the tune is reversible or you can write over it but it is technically not yours but the work of the tuner. Also may affect some warranty claims, insurance, etc.
Bottom line is you need to be clear what you want so not to be disappointed with your expectation.
Personally recommend it, a few dozen members have that basic tweak and is often all that's required vs racecar.
EDIT beaten to punch by @dgp that next level is onboard wideband, which is brilliant but more complex and involved. I read you can mod the autocal to accept wideband, would be interesting for intermediate tuning.
BTW @dgp love your twin setup, saving up for them asap!

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Yeh my race days are over just want my car to stop throwing a lean code since i put an otr on . Had it on for 2 months threw 2 codes , took the otr off on the weekend now i miss the pockyness of having the otr on .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm with the others, if it's from a reputable outfit there shouldn't be an issue.

Tuning isn't rocket science, every time a operator tunes a car he adds the tune to his data base, after a few years in business he'll have a tune library that covers most basic/common mods on what ever vehicles he tunes so when you say you have X car with Y exhaust and Z intake chances are he already has a tune to suit.

Last edited:

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I've done mine thru oztrack remote tune, they tune the gearbox as well if your car is automatic.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I'm with the others, if it's from a reputable outfit there shouldn't be an issue.

Tuning isn't rocket science, every time a operator tunes a car he adds the tune to his data base, after a few years in business he'll have a tune library that covers most basic/common mods on what ever vehicles he tunes so when you say you have X car with Y exhaust and Z intake chances are he already has a tune to suit.
Yeah for most it’s nothing like rocket science. Like any off the shelf commodity shopping there’s some good known hardware combos but by and large the retailer is going to flog the unit with higher margin or rebate.
Like going to a restaurant that uses the same wholesale ingredients without any custom herbs and spices, you never see real mechanical tuning, true custom calibration.
Yeah, that ain’t workin’
That’s the way you do it
Money for nothing
and your chart for free

I mean shouldn’t you expect a good amount of professional knowledge and personalisation for $10k or $12k instead of a poorly thrown together parts kit with one size fits all cam? Backdoor trade deals with bulk exhaust and induction brands without any useful alternate outcomes, zero driver input, zero engine analysis.
Using professional engine analysis and reporting it is not hard to accurately simulate / project results within 2%. I think it is pretty poor there’s next to no time spent explaining cause and effect behind any of the proposed improvements.
But most speed shops have zero clue past A + B = C then KMA.