Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Post tunes

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Hi all thinking about getting a tune done on my vf 6ltr L77 calais . My motor is stock except for a set of headers of a hsv , any way was told by a company that does post tunes i can expect 350kw from there tune does this sound about right . I think my calais produces 270kw now and if it does that tune would produce another 80kw . Any input ?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I have a 2015 calais with L77.

I have a custom tune, headers, full exhaust and cold air intake and made 250 rear wheel kilowatt, which would be close to that figure of 350, maybe marginally less....... so 350 is optimistic.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Wheel & chassis dyno’s are notoriously inaccurate, as they’re often calibrated somewhat high to make the customer (ie. the car owner) feel good.
350kW flywheel guesstimated from wheel output of a tuned car would make sense, but largely because the wheel dyno’s probably reading 20-30 kW higher than real output.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I guess as a comparison.......... Walkinshaw claim 310kw for their L77 upgrade package. To get to that they install a full exhaust system, an OTR and a tune.
I've seen other shops advertise an approximate 10% power increase from a tune alone.
80kw seems an over inflated claim from what I've seen and read over the years anyway.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
350 kw would be with an Otr headers and high flow cats also either 2.5 inch or 3 inch exhaust system to go with the tune

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Not a chance...

They’re quoting something difficult to measure.

Stick to rear wheel dyno measurements.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Stick to rear wheel dyno measurements.
Is that because you don't need to change anything in the engine to get a "genuine" 400kW ATW, you just fudge the dyno instead?

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Is that because you don't need to change anything in the engine to get a "genuine" 400kW ATW, you just fudge the dyno instead?
It’s because the magical ‘at flywheel’ number can be magically inflated...how will you tell if the tune works without comparative before and after dyno runs?

80kw with no mods and a tube in the post...keep believing it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I will say yes, it's possible. The tune is what makes all the difference, but I would be wary of an 80kW increase without other mods, you can lean it out to produce more power but it's not very good for the engine. More peak kW doesn't necessarily mean better or faster. If you were to go with a mail order tune, I would recommend MACE, they also offer data logging and a free touch up tune.