Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Post your car audio system and pictures

Luke's VX Equip

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx equip
FARkk mee mate lil lucifer thats a big job for some1 that did if for there first time.
came out nice mate :thumbsup:
i wish i could make my boot something like that but theres just not enough
room with the gas tank. :(
im thinking of mounting my amp on the top of the boot lid with carpet,
will look neater and save alot of boot space, but dont no if its bad for the amp
to be upside down.
any suggestions??

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
The rears aren't keeping up with the fronts
Thier running of the head unit at the moment, probably faded around %70 or more, to the front, to avoid distortion coming through them.
:D thats funny **** more likely loose cable to the speaker somewhere
I'm basically only amplflying them to eliminate any distortion which i may get from them when it gets turned right up...... without the rears distorting(which i'm pretty sure is due to lack of power input??) .....
:D
YES! the distortion is CLIPPING you have exceeded the limit of your amps normal output
i.e. the amplifier has reached its maximum output capacity yet tries to keep up with the input signal gain ratio between the signal source “HU” and Amp. The amps trying to put out the appropriate power, but runs out of voltage from the supply rails and we get a flat spot at the upper and lower peaks of the wave form.

Luke's VX Equip

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx equip
yess VZ-Rob is right a normal headunit will only be running about 50 watts max from them about 20 watts rms. If u dont want it to distort amp the thing especialy if ur running 6x9's.
Your underpowering them from the amp witch sends DISTORTED WAVES to the speaker wen u crank it up, witch can blow the speaker. Just as bad as overpowering it.
My mate ran a pair of decent pioneer 6x9's in the back off the headunit and sounded absolutly ****.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Remember guys distortion can also be caused by the speaker itself, this is generally what happens when you feed a speaker / sub more than enough power via an amplifier. Although in VPs case running 6x9s off the h/u will almost guarantees the signal will distort before the speakers.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Ok, firstly, i'm not running 6x9's!!lol Secondly, the rears at the time, were not amped, they were only running off the head unit. They only distorted at full volume, and was caused by the head unit's in built amp reaching it's full output. I've since hooked the rears up to a 60 x 2 amp, with the fader still set about 70-80%to the front, and they no longer distort, they play along fine. Remember i was running 250 RMS into my front splits, so unless i really faded the rears off completely, they were never going to keep up at full tilt. By full tilt, i mean volumes that some people gerenarally wouldn't sit in a car at. I had 2 people from work sit in, and they got out, saying it was too loud, and wondering how i could sit in there:yeah:

I've just bought a set of AD6 speakers through Joe Bellissimo, and i've ordered a new amp to run them aswell. They will be getting 400rms, :D So will see how things go then....

Last edited:

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
Ok,........ Remember i was running 250 RMS into my front splits, so unless i really faded the rears off completely, they were never going to keep up at full tilt. By full tilt, i mean volumes that some people gerenarally wouldn't sit in a car at. I had 2 people from work sit in, and they got out, saying it was too loud, and wondering how i could sit in there:yeah:
I've just bought a set of AD6 speakers through Joe Bellissimo, and i've ordered a new amp to run them aswell. They will be getting 400rms, :D So will see how things go then....

mmm!
(1) possibly you have destroyed your hearing :hit: is why your able to sit in at those volumes when others can't i.e. muffled top end
(2)AD6 speakers can't handle 250watts or 400 watts :shutup:
and WILL melt the voice coils by overpowering :yeah:
anyone telling you different is pulling your leg ;)

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
mmm!
(1) possibly you have destroyed your hearing :hit: is why your able to sit in at those volumes when others can't i.e. muffled top end
(2)AD6 speakers can't handle 250watts or 400 watts :shutup:
and WILL melt the voice coils by overpowering :yeah:
anyone telling you different is pulling your leg ;)

That's just not true man. While I agree 250w is overkill, when vp sets his gains correctly (and I know he will), the speakers will run perfectly well. It's not like he's going to be running a clipped test tone with the gain cranked. The only problem might be over excursion but that's pretty easy to hear. I've been running 100w rms through each of my tweeters alone with my bi amp setup for over a year with no problems at all. Damn typing on a phone sucks. Lol

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I agree with Bezz. Just because the amp is 400wrms doesn't mean that's what the speakers are getting all day every day. That amp would be able to very comfortably power to speakers at normal listening levels and have heaps of headroom for special occasions.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
VZ Rob, i'm well aware i can't feed 400 RMS to them, i'm not a plonk lol. I'm simply choosing a large amp for it's effeciency. Oh, and i'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my hearing haha...

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
VZ Rob, i'm well aware i can't feed 400 RMS to them, i'm not a plonk lol. I'm simply choosing a large amp for it's effeciency. Oh, and i'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my hearing haha...
The ads should sound sick dude.. Lookin forward to the review!