Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Post your underhood "battery" pics

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Spike79 said:
Its not an underhood pic, but this is whats left of my battery after i stuffed my VK under the side of a 4WD.

Its a new battery too, still under warranty. Maybe i could take it back to the shop.

Just curious. Does it still hold it's charge and can you charge it, or is it cactus? If it does, then you could use it :) The warranty joint will tell you to piss off.

Spike79

Just Confused!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6, VP Berlina LX, Citroen C3

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
I fabricated up the mounts to snuggly fit my new optima yellow top. The 750cca turns the 5L over beautifully.

just wondering vkberlina, is it ok to put such a bigger battey in the car? mine only has a 350cca or so battery instaled at the moment, and i wanted to put a bigger battery in for a more "clean" crank, but i was not sure if it can be done.

is it ok to do with no complications?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
You can. I put an 11 plate in my old Sigma and realised afterwards what a whole big waste of money it was.
V8's and more powerful 6's need an 11 plate, 6 cyl 9 plate and 4 cylinders 7 plate batteries. Don't bother wasting money unless it's necessary.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Several reasons for my battery choice.
1: The battery is in the boot & I opted for the Optima as it was a sealed type battery. The physical dimensions of the Optima are alot smaller than a conventional type battery of equivelant capacity.
2: I was worried about voltage & current drop. going from the rear to the front, although I used good wire, good connectors etc, I wanted to make sure.
3: There are periods where I need a long lasting battery and the Optima offered this as well.

All in all I would have settled for around a 600CCA battery but the figures of the optima I bought was higher than what I needed, so I bought it anyway.
I am very happy with the battery

B

buzurk

Mine

Heres Mines

Attachments

• IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 229

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
vkberlina said:
Several reasons for my battery choice.
1: The battery is in the boot & I opted for the Optima..........

How much did the battery cost and how long should it last?

The average battery lasts between 3 & 4 years I suppose. Just wondering if it would be worth paying all the extra $.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Here's a better pic of mine. Better than average for older barges. :) Nice propane torch soldered lugs with black heatshrink over them. Nice and tidy.

Last edited:

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
buzurk..... you must have one mean stereo.....

9C1pack

Reaction score
I always put the largest battery that I can fit/afford in my cars. My reason for doing this is that the cars are usually automatics that |I cannot push start in an emergency. I live in the country where we get severe frosts down to -4 which is hard on batteries (I hate being stuck). It has paid off for me in that I usually get about 7 to 8 years out my batteries, for usually only $20 to $40 dollars more than a standard battery.