Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Post your underhood "battery" pics

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Slim said:
How much did the battery cost and how long should it last?

The average battery lasts between 3 & 4 years I suppose. Just wondering if it would be worth paying all the extra $.
Hi craig,

Um I know a guy with a similar optima battery that has been going strong for 5 years now, so im expecting a while.

Price wise, mine was trade so I cant say the price but RRP is around $350 for mine.

cheers
Scott

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
where did you run the cables when you moved the battery to the boot?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
My Mum bought her Lancer in 2002. It's still the original battery 4 1/2 years later. I thought that was not bad. What is it with factory parts? They seem to last longer.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Slim said:
What is it with factory parts? They seem to last longer.
My old man got 10 years out of the factory battery in his Lite-Ace, only pulled it out because he was thinking it must be ready to start having problems (still kept it as a spare though!!). On the flipside of the coin, when I bought my WH it was 3 years old with original battery - car would struggle to turn over when I test-drove it. Condition of sale specified by me was a new battery as well as a few other items (CD stacker, suspension bushes). On a positive note the Exide K-Mart special in my VC is 6 years old, needs charging every few months now but that's a pretty good life-span.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Yeah I've found that batteries need an extra seperate charge every now and then. The thing with batteries is that they never get to full capacity.

I am seriously thinking about buying the Jaycar battery zapper kit. I am really thinking it could be a useful item. Although I might not get my money worth out of it, my cousin who is a farmer has 20+ batteries on the farm which he would benefit from it enormously.
Check it out:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
immortality said:
where did you run the cables when you moved the battery to the boot?
Sorry about the late reply I havent ben on the forum lately. Cable was runthrough the firewall on the drivers side, along the drivers side of the floor. It pretty much follows the standard wiring harness path down the drivers side of the car. Each time it passes though a hole in steel I have protective sheilding on the cable & a rubber grommet in the hole.

cheers
Scott