Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Potenza re050a vs s007a

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by HB.SSVR, Dec 11, 2018.

1. HB.SSVR

HB.SSVR New Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline
    Hi guys, time has come for a new set of tyres and since bridgestone have a 4 for 3 deal i was thinking of sticking with the potenzas.

Now as the title states, i can get the re050a which is the oem tyre or the newer s007a for about the same price.

Does anyone have any experience with the soo7a? Which is a better all rounder daily driven tyre? And is it worth paying the small sum extra for the newer tyre.

Any other recommendations at around the same price.

2. panhead

panhead Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Cars
    What sizes are you buying and are they 19 inch or 20 as there are differences in the load rating between the RE050A and S007A.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  3. HB.SSVR

HB.SSVR New Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline
    Sorry i should have included the tyre specs in the post.

Fronts: 245/40R19 98Y
    Rears: 275/35R19 100Y

4. panhead

Members Ride:
    Cars
    There are arguably better tyres available than these two but the Potenza are a good all round tyre and if you wish to stick with them and if you can believe what you read, the S007A is possibly the better tyre with a good wear life.

A tyre responds to the driver input and if it’s just daily safe family driving you’re looking for then in this case I probably go for whichever is the cheapest.

The RE050a comes in a wider range than the S007A so if you decide on the RE050A make sure you choose the ones that meet your load rating requirements, the S007A only have one option and they do meet the rating.

5. iamandrew

iamandrew Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 Wagon
    Hey there, I just swapped out my tyres on my SV6 after about 55k
    I looked around for reviews on the S007A, and by the looks of it, it was supposed to be the replacement tyre for the 050
    the 050 seems to be a the standard tyre from the factory for a lot of cars, and I cant complain about the ones on my commodore
    they have all worn evenly and provided enough grip in the dry and wet.
    the 007 seemed to have generally worse reviews and shorter life span
    I also used the bridgestone deal and asked them "Am I actually getting this 4th tyre free?" and after looking around, the Bridgestone dealer was still cheaper for the tyre than anyone else.
    Also both tyres were available for the same price

6. panhead

Members Ride:
    Cars
    The S007A is not a replacement for the RE050A, it’s a supplement to the S001 and will eventually be a replacement with supposedly better road holding and wear characteristics.

Most reviews are very positive but they also appear to be carried out with Bridgestone making a day of it for the reviewers so read into that what you will.

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/review-bridgestone-potenza-s007a-tyres-120317

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/bridgestone-potenza-72307

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/ca...ches-flagship-performance-tyre-potenza-s007a/

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  7. EternityDre

EternityDre Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MSE #385
    RE003's not an option? I upgraded to those on my MSE and they're better both on track and on the road, wet and dry.

Noeleter likes this.
  8. panhead

Members Ride:
    Cars
    But the RE003 is not an ultra high performance tyre like the other two mentioned and it doesn't have the speed rating of the other two.

Bridgestone only consider it to be one of their entry level performance tyres which doesn't make it a bad tyre and will definitely do the job of a family daily but you can see the tread pattern doesn't follow the design used by Bridgestone and all the other brands on their fast tyres.

9. EternityDre

EternityDre Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MSE #385
    That's very interesting. I suppose that depends on how ultra high performance is calculated. Does that mean performance over a broad operating range? I found the ultra high performance RE050As hit the limit pretty easily on track. Similar comments here from the launch of the limited editions: "About the only limiting factor is the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres after countless laps at max-attack." (https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/2017-holden-commodore-motorsport-edition-review). The RE003's I put on gave me significantly more mid-corner grip on track, although to be fair I also adjusted camber/toe so can't put it all on the tyres. I've also felt more grip on the road, in both wet and dry. I was definitely pleasantly surprised that the cheaper tyre performed so well, but that's in line with all the (user) reviews I read. Looking at the RE003s there are less groves in the tyre, hence more contact patch, hence more grip. I expected poorer wet performance but haven't seen that, maybe due to the camber/toe adjustments.

panhead likes this.
  10. saroadie

saroadie Active Member

Members Ride:
    2015 VF SV6 Storm
    According to the Bridgestone site the S007 is currently only available in 3 non VF sizes.
    255/40ZR20
    295/35ZR20
    265/30ZR20

11. White Swan

White Swan Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SS
    The Op is asking about the S007A not the S007

The S007A is available in Fronts: 245/40R19 98Y and Rears: 275/35R19 100Y

12. saroadie

saroadie Active Member

Members Ride:
    2015 VF SV6 Storm
    Thanks for setting me straight.

13. White Swan

White Swan Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SS
    I don't know about the S007A as I hadn't heard of them until today but it is generally regarded the Bridgestone range of performance tyres don't match the likes of the Continentals or Michelins so I wouldn't buy them if I was looking for real performance.

To quote the above article, "About the only limiting factor is the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres after countless laps at max-attack."

As far as I understand it, no street tyres stand up to countless laps at max-attack, they are simply not designed to.

The same goes for the speed ratings, they only operate at their top speed for a short time before they pop.

14. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    I agree Dre. They grip better. I put it down to contact area as you say, and a softer compound. But they don't give the same level of feedback. I have wondered how they'd go on track? I thought they'd probably grip well for a few laps, but wear quickly. Overall the 050 is better I think. That said, none of them compare to the Michelin 4SPS.

EternityDre likes this.
  15. panhead

Members Ride:
    Cars
    I would believe the Ultra High rating is due to their high speed ability but I'm only guessing and don't really know.

I've never driven on a RE003 so I can't give a real world opinion on it so I'll bow to yours, all I know is Bridgestone have it below the RE050A and S007A on their performance tyre list.

I've had a few cars shod with the RE050A and I think it's a reasonably good tyre though not the tyre of choice for me, I do use the runflat version on my BMW as it's the OEM tyre, but that's not why I stuck with it, it was the RFT that I liked so as to make life easier for my wife in case she got a puncher.

I'm in the Cuda camp and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is my go to tyre at the moment.

EternityDre likes this.
  16. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    i only hear good things about the ps4s.
    i used to prefer the s002's over the re050a due to a slightly stiffer side wall, and would last a little longer.

Im currently running re003s on the rear after getting a puncture in a re050a, they seem good so far, and get rave reviews from lots of wrx guys,
    a wrx is obviously lighter than our boats though.

17. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    I'm sure I've said this on other threads so apologies in advance for repeating myself; but the RE003 has a low treadwear rating. Admittedly it's difficult to find these ratings, the only reason I could find the RE003 eating is 'cos it's an example quoted on the Bridgestone website.

So in theory you'll go through a set of RE003's quicker than anything else that's been discussed in this thread; people who get 40k kms out of a set of RE003's would probably get closer to 60k kms out of a set of S007A's for example. But the RE003's should be stickier, too (I say "should be" because there are so many differences between sizes & handling/grip attributes of cars that who knows, maybe for a V8 VF the RE003 isn't as far ahead as it is for something quite different like a Renault Megane RS). At road speeds the performance is closer to the Really Fancy Stuff that's factory fitted to the likes of GT2/GT3/GT4 Porsches, but at a lower price because they won't last as long (and also don't have the speed rating).

426Cuda and EternityDre like this.
  18. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    I'm the opposite got 35k out of re003 and just got 25k out of re050s( rely crap) the re003 is best tyre for $$$ to me only downside is they spin up easy off the line near end of life but that's fun, at speed grips still fine.

Cuda how's the ps4s lasting

19. Wayno73

Wayno73 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE II MY11 SS, TM MY12 BARINA, NM MY15 TRITON
    Anyone tried the S001's? I thought these were going to replace the RE050A.

I have these on my VE and these things stick like $h!t to a blanket.

I've had them a couple years but not enough k's to check the wear rates.

Got a set 4 (4 for 3 price) for aound $800

20. HB.SSVR

HB.SSVR New Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline
    I ended up sticking with the re050a's as I couldnt go past bridgestones offer. Plus the original front tyres have lasted me 42k ks and the rears still have a good 5-10k ks left in them.

Im keen on the michelin pilot sport 4s for my next set though as everyone on here is rating them quite highly.