Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Potenza re050a vs s007a

HB.SSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Hi guys, time has come for a new set of tyres and since bridgestone have a 4 for 3 deal i was thinking of sticking with the potenzas.

Now as the title states, i can get the re050a which is the oem tyre or the newer s007a for about the same price.

Does anyone have any experience with the soo7a? Which is a better all rounder daily driven tyre? And is it worth paying the small sum extra for the newer tyre.

Any other recommendations at around the same price.

HB.SSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Sorry i should have included the tyre specs in the post.

Fronts: 245/40R19 98Y
Rears: 275/35R19 100Y

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
There are arguably better tyres available than these two but the Potenza are a good all round tyre and if you wish to stick with them and if you can believe what you read, the S007A is possibly the better tyre with a good wear life.

A tyre responds to the driver input and if it’s just daily safe family driving you’re looking for then in this case I probably go for whichever is the cheapest.

The RE050a comes in a wider range than the S007A so if you decide on the RE050A make sure you choose the ones that meet your load rating requirements, the S007A only have one option and they do meet the rating.

iamandrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
Hey there, I just swapped out my tyres on my SV6 after about 55k
I looked around for reviews on the S007A, and by the looks of it, it was supposed to be the replacement tyre for the 050
the 050 seems to be a the standard tyre from the factory for a lot of cars, and I cant complain about the ones on my commodore
they have all worn evenly and provided enough grip in the dry and wet.
the 007 seemed to have generally worse reviews and shorter life span
I also used the bridgestone deal and asked them "Am I actually getting this 4th tyre free?" and after looking around, the Bridgestone dealer was still cheaper for the tyre than anyone else.
Also both tyres were available for the same price

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Hey there, I just swapped out my tyres on my SV6 after about 55k
I looked around for reviews on the S007A, and by the looks of it, it was supposed to be the replacement tyre for the 050
the 050 seems to be a the standard tyre from the factory for a lot of cars, and I cant complain about the ones on my commodore
they have all worn evenly and provided enough grip in the dry and wet.
the 007 seemed to have generally worse reviews and shorter life span
I also used the bridgestone deal and asked them "Am I actually getting this 4th tyre free?" and after looking around, the Bridgestone dealer was still cheaper for the tyre than anyone else.
Also both tyres were available for the same price

The S007A is not a replacement for the RE050A, it’s a supplement to the S001 and will eventually be a replacement with supposedly better road holding and wear characteristics.

Most reviews are very positive but they also appear to be carried out with Bridgestone making a day of it for the reviewers so read into that what you will.

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/review-bridgestone-potenza-s007a-tyres-120317

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/bridgestone-potenza-72307

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/ca...ches-flagship-performance-tyre-potenza-s007a/

Last edited:

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
RE003's not an option? I upgraded to those on my MSE and they're better both on track and on the road, wet and dry.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
RE003's not an option? I upgraded to those on my MSE and they're better both on track and on the road, wet and dry.

But the RE003 is not an ultra high performance tyre like the other two mentioned and it doesn't have the speed rating of the other two.

Bridgestone only consider it to be one of their entry level performance tyres which doesn't make it a bad tyre and will definitely do the job of a family daily but you can see the tread pattern doesn't follow the design used by Bridgestone and all the other brands on their fast tyres.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
But the RE003 is not an ultra high performance tyre like the other two mentioned and it doesn't have the speed rating of the other two. Bridgestone only consider it to be one of their entry level performance tyres which doesn't make it a bad tyre and will definitely do the job of a family daily but you can see the tread pattern doesn't follow the design used by Bridgestone and all the other brands on their fast tyres.

That's very interesting. I suppose that depends on how ultra high performance is calculated. Does that mean performance over a broad operating range? I found the ultra high performance RE050As hit the limit pretty easily on track. Similar comments here from the launch of the limited editions: "About the only limiting factor is the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres after countless laps at max-attack." (https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/2017-holden-commodore-motorsport-edition-review). The RE003's I put on gave me significantly more mid-corner grip on track, although to be fair I also adjusted camber/toe so can't put it all on the tyres. I've also felt more grip on the road, in both wet and dry. I was definitely pleasantly surprised that the cheaper tyre performed so well, but that's in line with all the (user) reviews I read. Looking at the RE003s there are less groves in the tyre, hence more contact patch, hence more grip. I expected poorer wet performance but haven't seen that, maybe due to the camber/toe adjustments.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
According to the Bridgestone site the S007 is currently only available in 3 non VF sizes.
255/40ZR20
295/35ZR20
265/30ZR20