Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WA] powder coated rims?

just0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT, Torana SLR 5000 replica
hi thinking about getting my rims powder coated as they are in pretty shabby condition, would go black, anyone have photos of coated rims ? any idea on price ? cheers

Steery

AA 554 G
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR SS M5
More information needed. Condition of rims, is it just the paint that is shabby or are they gutter rashed to hell and need to be machined? What size rims? Do the tyres need to be removed/put back on?

All are contributing factors to the costs, what might be a better question for you is: What are some places in (whatever area you are in) that powdercoat wheels so i can call them and get an approximate quote?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Mine cost $50 per wheel. That was the wheel taken in without rubber on (he didn't have the stuff to take tyres off)

The guy who did mine also fixed up some pretty bad gutter rash, although i had 9 rims done.

Heres a pic (just for minux)
102_0008.jpg

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
I did the VB SLE wheels about ten years ago in white and paid $40 per rim as i got sick of cleaning them as they were a rough cast, they basically look painted, it also chips quite easy, but not if you are a careful parker, I should have cleared over the powdercoat maybe but after seeing how easy they chip I was very careful. Due to how the process works, I would say you would have to get the tyres R&R'ed but get someone good, it would be a shame to get a scratch/chip in them before they make it back onto the car.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
One of my wheels left the car doing 80, up an embankment, and face down on the road. Not a single chip, just dents from the tar. Must have been a real dodgy powdercoater to have it chip off.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Maybe, could have been the same person that put your rims back on your car, still had the cleanest SLE rims around and with good old liquid paper, the chip was no more.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe, could have been the same person that put your rims back on your car, still had the cleanest SLE rims around and with good old liquid paper, the chip was no more.

I'm not saying they weren't clean. I'm saying powdercoating doesn't crack. They were either spray painted and you were told they were powdercoated, or you drive along the gutter. Even then, the coating wont crack and flake off.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I can get mine re shadowchromed for $200ea, but painted, not coated.

would be interested if coating was >$100 each

How much would freight to SA be? Might still be cheaper haha.