Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WA] powder coated rims?

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
I'm not saying they weren't clean. I'm saying powdercoating doesn't crack. They were either spray painted and you were told they were powdercoated, or you drive along the gutter. Even then, the coating wont crack and flake off.

:confused: they were powerercoated and it can chip, I'm not saying all of them will, that's why when doing show cars no-one P/C's undercarriage bits. I think you took my comment wrong too, it was obviously a failed attempt at a joke, I was admitting that I could have scored a dodgy powdercoater as you may have scored a dodgy wheel man as wheels don't just come off a car and start a journey of their own. Get it hahaha, ahh don't worry

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I know exactly why the wheel came off (i wouldn't even call that a dad joke, thats how bad your attempt was ;)). I'm telling you, powdercoating doesn't chip off. I think you were ripped and they were can painted.....

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
okay if you say so but I saw them do the wheels. I know how powdercoating works and have seen it done on my own wheels, it this instance, I hit a pothole, the powdercoat chipped. If you are unlucky enough to hit a pothole, you will know that you can get a cracked rim from them so dont tell me it cant chip powdercoat. You must have NASA approved powdercoating.

brockee

(HOUSE OF POWER)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 SENATOR SIG CAMMD A4
hey bud !! got any mates that are spray painter there cost bugger all .i got 4 vx clubby rims in black done for 200hungy:thumbsup: if they have slight gutter rash they just file them back ta normal looks like brand new now:w00t:power coat and painted looks tha same so up ta u really mate!!!!!!!!!!

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
hey bud !! got any mates that are spray painter there cost bugger all .i got 4 vx clubby rims in black done for 200hungy:thumbsup: if they have slight gutter rash they just file them back ta normal looks like brand new now:w00t:power coat and painted looks tha same so up ta u really mate!!!!!!!!!!

So wouldn't you rather pay for the better quality job? Time after time i see people with spray painted rims start flaking just from normal driving (not in and out of potholes like some:whistling). Powdercoating wont flake under those same conditions.

crewsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sierra
alliance rim repairs swear by painting, and claim powder coating flakes

but you're probably right stealthy, as the standard paint on my current rims is flaking.

yeh they the ones who wanted to charge me 120-160 per rim! didn't know they use paint either... sounds a bit expensive for that. Victimiza, do you know of anyone else who powdercoats rims?

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
So wouldn't you rather pay for the better quality job? Time after time i see people with spray painted rims start flaking just from normal driving (not in and out of potholes like some:whistling). Powdercoating wont flake under those same conditions.

95% of wheels on the market including every standard wheel is painted, just like a car spray job, if the prep, paint and clear are done properly, you wont get flaking, unless your wheels fall off, but that hasn't happened to me yet.:whistling