Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Powder Coating SSV wheels

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
20170520_1901332.jpg

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
And where can I get those colours and that type of dip from? Is there a better quality brand and not so good brands?

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
Wow that's perfect... what's that? Is that plasti dip or been professionally sprayed? Is that yours? Exactly what I want!

Yeah it's mine, I plastidipped it a few months back. I like using the stuff, it's pretty cheap and super easy to use, you can knock over a set of wheels in one arvo and of course you can return to stock by peeling it off whenever. I've got stuff powdercoated in the past, these days not worth the hassle to me. My last car had Plastidipped wheels for 3 years, simply peeled it off when it came time to sell. You can find copycat brands out there, but Plastidip is the market leader.

You can get the gunmetal/anthracite look via 2 methods. First method is just applying anthracite Plastidip. Apply a few coats and you're done. Second method is applying a few coats of black Plastidip as a base, so essentially you dip the wheels black. Then you apply a small amount of Plastidip's "graphite pearl metalizer" over the top. The result is much more metallic and glossy than the straight anthracite method. I've tried both methods in the past and prefer the metalizer method, the finish is nicer to my eye and you can control the final product - the more coats of the metalizer, the deeper the gunmetal colour.

Most people get it from Autobarn unless you find it cheaper on gumtree/ebay etc. Keep in mind there are a few types of metalizer available, you specifically want "graphite pearl" metalizer which can sometimes be hard to find - https://www.autobarn.com.au/plasti-dip-rubber-coating-metalizer-graphite-pearl-311g

The photo above was from the night I did them a few months back. This is a pic from today in slightly better light (although they're very dirty at the moment). It's 4-5 coats of black, 2-3 coats of graphite pearl metalizer.

20170618_16224822.jpg

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Do you have any trouble with the plasti-dip getting damaged when your tyres are replaced?
Are you able to jet wash your wheels?

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
Plenty of panel shops paint wheels and can hook up any colour you want, and will last years.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Yeah it's mine, I plastidipped it a few months back. I like using the stuff, it's pretty cheap and super easy to use, you can knock over a set of wheels in one arvo and of course you can return to stock by peeling it off whenever. I've got stuff powdercoated in the past, these days not worth the hassle to me. My last car had Plastidipped wheels for 3 years, simply peeled it off when it came time to sell. You can find copycat brands out there, but Plastidip is the market leader.

You can get the gunmetal/anthracite look via 2 methods. First method is just applying anthracite Plastidip. Apply a few coats and you're done. Second method is applying a few coats of black Plastidip as a base, so essentially you dip the wheels black. Then you apply a small amount of Plastidip's "graphite pearl metalizer" over the top. The result is much more metallic and glossy than the straight anthracite method. I've tried both methods in the past and prefer the metalizer method, the finish is nicer to my eye and you can control the final product - the more coats of the metalizer, the deeper the gunmetal colour.

Most people get it from Autobarn unless you find it cheaper on gumtree/ebay etc. Keep in mind there are a few types of metalizer available, you specifically want "graphite pearl" metalizer which can sometimes be hard to find - https://www.autobarn.com.au/plasti-dip-rubber-coating-metalizer-graphite-pearl-311g

The photo above was from the night I did them a few months back. This is a pic from today in slightly better light (although they're very dirty at the moment). It's 4-5 coats of black, 2-3 coats of graphite pearl metalizer.

View attachment 192993

Thanks for the info mate. That looks the goods! I'll have a browse at autobarn. I want to keep the wheels stock if possible so this is a great solution to have darker look and factory wheels at the same time!

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
Do you have any trouble with the plasti-dip getting damaged when your tyres are replaced?
Are you able to jet wash your wheels?

I don't usually have any trouble with tyre replacement, if ever they nick the edge it's very easy to patch up. Dry plastidip re-liquefies whenever you spray fresh plastidip on top (kind of strange), so it's very easy to touch up. And yeah the preferred method of cleaning plastidipped wheels is with a pressure washer.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Hey Davison, does the plastidip make it easier to wipe brake dust off?
Does it just hose off, for example?
One of my pet hates is brake dust, the car actually looks pretty clean at the moment (despite being virtually black) after a month of not having enough time on dry weekends to clean it, all except the gloss-finish black Redline wheels not being glossy due to brake dust ...

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
They've come up a treat. Don't suppose you have a wider pic showing the whole car and the coloured SSV wheels? Never seen a car on the road with this combo and interested to see how it looks.