Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power antenna and aftermarket stereo

mrchapalapa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Series II V6 Ecotec
You don't need the relay at all. I just connected the blue wire coming out the back of the stereo to the yellow/red wire. Antenna goes up. When you turn off the radio, the antenna goes down by itself after about 20 seconds

rjfielder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
Hi,

Thought I would share my experiences with this tonight. I am looking at installing an aftermarket head unit in my VT Calais but I want to keep the ability to raise and lower the antenna just like it came from factory.

What I have found is that if I put 12V down the yellow/red wire the aerial goes up. Ones this 12V is removed the aerial goes down after a while. With the 12V on the yellow/red if I earth out the white wire the aerial goes down and stops when I remove the earth. If I earth out the light blue wire the aerial goes up. The aerial stays at the position it stopped at when I took the earth off. If you then remove the 12V from the yellow/red the aerial goes back down, and when you put it back on it returns to the position I last set it out. This was all done without the factory stereo plugged in.

To solve the issue with the new head unit what I plan on doing is to take the antenna signal wire from the new stereo (i.e. 12V) and connect this to the yellow/red. I will then pull out the white and light blue cables and install them onto a switch with 3 positions i.e. up, down, neutral. I will earth the main wire into the switch and then connect the white wire to the down position and the blue to the up.

How does all that sound? I am going to give it a go but just figuring it all out first before I go and splash out on all new equipment.

Hope this is helpful as this is my first post.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hi,

Thought I would share my experiences with this tonight. I am looking at installing an aftermarket head unit in my VT Calais but I want to keep the ability to raise and lower the antenna just like it came from factory.

What I have found is that if I put 12V down the yellow/red wire the aerial goes up. Ones this 12V is removed the aerial goes down after a while. With the 12V on the yellow/red if I earth out the white wire the aerial goes down and stops when I remove the earth. If I earth out the light blue wire the aerial goes up. The aerial stays at the position it stopped at when I took the earth off. If you then remove the 12V from the yellow/red the aerial goes back down, and when you put it back on it returns to the position I last set it out. This was all done without the factory stereo plugged in.

To solve the issue with the new head unit what I plan on doing is to take the antenna signal wire from the new stereo (i.e. 12V) and connect this to the yellow/red. I will then pull out the white and light blue cables and install them onto a switch with 3 positions i.e. up, down, neutral. I will earth the main wire into the switch and then connect the white wire to the down position and the blue to the up.

How does all that sound? I am going to give it a go but just figuring it all out first before I go and splash out on all new equipment.

Hope this is helpful as this is my first post.

Nailed it. Thats the way I've been doing it for years for pendantic customers who MUST be able to raise and lower the antenna still... even though they've never done it since they've owned the vehicle.

Rob M

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic (up spec executive) V6
Nailed it. Thats the way I've been doing it for years for pendantic customers who MUST be able to raise and lower the antenna still... even though they've never done it since they've owned the vehicle.
Hi all, hoping someone is still watching this thread. I'm totally new to forums but have been trying to follow this as I hook up my aftermarket head unit. I'm a bit confused. I have an after market loom kit that takes the blue wire labelled antenna from the head unit and connects it to the red and yellow wire on the original plug. Nothing is happening. I keep reading about blue and white wires that are required to send signals and trigger the aerial but can find no such wires on my loom. There are 2 unnacounted for on the plug but they are grey and yellow/Black the grey one on the original plug is converted to orange but tracks to an unlabelled pin on the head unit itself. Are the "blue and white" wires you speak of on the main stereo plug? If so then I could play with the ground as you suggest above. If they are not then where do I access them? Any help would be great, I'll upload a pic of the original plug. The spare wires I speak of are the two most Close to the centre on either end of the central bank of four pins. (Hope that makes sense)
1482292030044-1204225885.jpg

kyleat1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Is there a diagram that shows how to wire up the up and down function for a after market unit

Scott Henderson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SERIES I EQUIPE
Is there a diagram that shows how to wire up the up and down function for a after market unit

For anyone still looking at this article, just buy the appropriate Aerpro ISO cables for the VS Commodore and your brand head unit, and the whole lot just literally plugs in, you don’t damage any of the cars original wiring, and at least in my case with a Kenwood, the antenna works exactly the same as factory - it only rises if radio is selected, and then it will put itself down when the car is switched off...

Easy done!

Liam Whelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU Commodore Ute 3.8l V6 Auto
Thanks Scott. I have this all sorted now come Monday.
Went to the Aerpro website and downloaded all the information I need to install a new Sony 6.2" display.
No more terminal strips here! haha.