Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Antenna Up and Down Switch

meowgoescat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT SII
Does anyone know if you can custom a switch for a automatic antenna so you are able to stop part-way up or down. Like in the stock head units "eurovox'.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
It is possible to do. But you'll need a circuit for it. I will be developing a circuit to do this when i put in my new head unit.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yes i beleive it is possible, you will need either a relay or two and / or a DPDT toggle switch.

I'll look into it abit further and if im successful i'll get back to you with a wiring diagram etc.

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
Any luck with this. I have a VZ and just changed the original head unit. I want to be able to raise and lower the height of the antenna when it is in use, or let the head unit power up the antenna or lower it when it is not needed. Anyone know how the stock antenna wire information controls the antenna itself? Is it through the BCM and if so, what signals does it send to the BCM?

Thanks for your help.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
You can quite easy as right at the factory antenna there are 2 wires (red and white)that have 12v on them to get the up and down to work..all you have to do is make the rocker switch work to open circuit for down ,and put 12v for up .... with the ign/accessories on 12v is applied to red wire and the head unit when radio is on applies 12v on the white wire to get it to extend....if you switch this white wire so the radio 12v is taken away you will have control to lower the antenna and if you apply 12v to the white wire the antenna will extend. Of course the antenna has to go through its auto extend process at initial startup before the buttons function correctly. Also I put a switch in that open circuits the red wire all the time when switched in my glovebox as it stops the auto extend/retract function happenning as the gearing in the antenna unit is stuffed and the bloody clutch overruns all the time and another new one is so exy.

Attachments

• antenna switch.JPG
    antenna switch.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 10,816
Last edited:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
markovr, that works all well and good, except for the fact that it doesn't work with a "part way stop". For that you have to disable power via the red wire!

Holdens Rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
What about having the antenna height memory like the head units have

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
Thanks all for your replies, I am trying to find out how to use this on a VY VZ antenna as they differ from a VT VX. The VY VZ automatic antenna has only one wire coming from the back of the head unit not two. Does anyone know what the signals are that are sent from the head unit to raise, lower, or adjust the height of the antenna and is this controlled more from the BCM or not. If so, again what are the signals sent to the BCM from the head unit. This is a tough one as I can't find an answer for it anywhere.

Thanks everyone.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
markovr, that works all well and good, except for the fact that it doesn't work with a "part way stop". For that you have to disable power via the red wire!
Yes the drama with that was the up stop function is supplied by the limit switch in the antenna itself and like you say you would have to take off the red 12v to control that

ezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr s ute
would my vt ss have a antenna height memory in it's standard radio?