Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power cable burn?

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
ok so today i pulled my subs and amps out as i am going camping for the long weekend!!

not the funnest job by yourself either!! 2x pioneer premiers wayin in at 12-15kgs each and the weight of a dual box and two large amps=heavy!

after pulling them out i pulled my power cabls back through the bottom boot liner...(cables are 0guage to distribution box then to 2 4 guage) and where the cables go, the sub box has been laying on them and the cable has sorta black burn marks in the insulation(see-through red)!

its 4 guage and the amps are 1000rms each...so would the cable still be safe or should i get new stuff and re-route my cables around my box!

dakman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute 22's lowered hardlid
sounds like the cables arnt big enough and they have been over loaded, hence the burnt black area.. thats just what i think?

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Are both of the 4G cables independently fused? If they aren't then you can still overload them without overloading the 0G or tripping the fuse on the 0G.

If they are, then it's possible that the weight of the sub has worn down or pierced the insulation on the 4G cable enough to singe the insulation but not draw enough current to blow the fuse.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
0ga is more than enough for that power... Even 4ga wouldn't go black with 1000Wrms.

It'd be from the rubbing.