Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Cable Through Firewall of VY

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
MY12.5 VE SS-V Z Series Sportswagon
Can anyone please tell me the best way to put a power cable for my amp through the firewall of a VY, it's not like my VT where just poke it through with the rest of the wires, the VY is far more quailty made and has a BIG rubber stopper and loom with all the wires going through. I'd prefer not to poke a hole through the rubber but if it's the only way then so be it.

By the way, is it ok to run the RCA cables and the Remote Wire together?

HELP ASAP PLEASE.

Cheers.

Last edited:

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
My vt certainly has a grommet for the loom. The best place is down under the brake booster, there is a rubber plug with no hole in it that blocks the hole used for the clutch stuff in a manual. Remove it and make a hole in it, put it back and run the cable through it.

Rca's can go with remote and speaker wires down the left sill, power on the right.

C

chrgdstatesman

yeah i heard it is not good to put the remote wires together u get like different types of sounds coming threw, i red it somewhere **** remember where tho

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
ive recently came cross a vacant grommet in the firewall.. hard to see as its only bout 15mm diam and hidden in a blind spot. how to find it.. jus say u lookin neer the loom that runs thru the big gromet on the passenger side look about 15-20cms below it look more closer to the corner behind the wheel arch hard in the corner and you will come across it. from inside the vehicle when you remove the glovebox and side panels you have very accessable area to work with.
hope thats of some use to you.
cheers!

barbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro CV8
cold_carve said:
ive recently came cross a vacant grommet in the firewall.. hard to see as its only bout 15mm diam and hidden in a blind spot. how to find it.. jus say u lookin neer the loom that runs thru the big gromet on the passenger side look about 15-20cms below it look more closer to the corner behind the wheel arch hard in the corner and you will come across it. from inside the vehicle when you remove the glovebox and side panels you have very accessable area to work with.
hope thats of some use to you.
cheers!

yea thats the grommet i used, took me f**king ages to find it and at happly fits my 4ga wire through

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i loike clutch gromets!
clutch gromet in the easiest, no removing of glovebox and side panels.
you need to keep the power and rca wires seperate. the remote wire does not matter. run it where ever.

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
easy with running power cable... i had it run from me gromet down under the passenger side kickpanel and sill panels alongside with the left speaker cable straight to the amp... rca cable running along inside the centre console...
end of the day it all depends on what amount of work u want to undertake
have fun... cheers

barbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro CV8
cold_carve said:
easy with running power cable... i had it run from me gromet down under the passenger side kickpanel and sill panels alongside with the left speaker cable straight to the amp... rca cable running along inside the centre console...
end of the day it all depends on what amount of work u want to undertake
have fun... cheers

how about this: along the passenger side i have a 4ga power cable remote and 2 sets of RCAs (i bought some nice insulted ones and i dont here that crap you would otherwise, cost me a few quid though) i was only trying to run the speaker wire down that same sill but its a little packed in there.
you see its not because im lazy (but i am) its just the less i touch the less ill break and the less it will look bad.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
barbs said:
how about this: along the passenger side i have a 4ga power cable remote and 2 sets of RCAs (i bought some nice insulted ones and i dont here that crap you would otherwise, cost me a few quid though) i was only trying to run the speaker wire down that same sill but its a little packed in there.
you see its not because im lazy (but i am) its just the less i touch the less ill break and the less it will look bad.
the noise floor of the RCAs' will be raised regardless of if you can or cant hear it. it is a bad idea plain and simple. its the same as running a crap cd player, it all has the effect of making the system sound worse.

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
MY12.5 VE SS-V Z Series Sportswagon
Thanks for all the help guys, I actually found the hole you were talkin about before i had the chance to check back here for updates, so yeah. I appreciate the help.