Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power cable

markvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 vr sedan series 2
hi everyone, just a simple question im getting my headunit sub and amp put in this weekend and my mate said i just need to buy a power cable to go from the battery to the amp and a fuse just wondering what type of price ide be looking at and where i should go to buy it?? supercheap?straithfield?

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
You only need the power cable or a full wiring kit? For a full wiring kit can go anywhere that sells cars audio. For just a power cable, then JB's have it, and JB's rep is that their stuff is cheaper than other places.

You'll need to find out what gauge wire you'll need, 8 or 4 (or 2, or 0 etc). Depending on how much power you'll have running. It should say in the book for the amp what the recommended install cable is.

Personally I wouldn't go to strathfield, I don't like them after being given bad advice from a sale's person there, and super cheap only seem to have that rampage stuff.

Hope that helps

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep if youre just after 5m of power cable and a fuse (so youve got the RCAs, remote and speaker cable?) Then theres a few places you can go, supercheap's power cable kits arent too bad....for an 8AWG power cable kit you'll be looking at around $50. For a 4AWG version around $80. JB Hi Fi etc will have similar products for similar prices.

Theres a few ways to tell what size cable to use, an easy way is if the amp has insert type terminals (a round hole with an allen key screw at the top) then if its say smaller than your pinky its 8AWG, the same or bigger then 4AWG. (I suppose this would depend on how big your pinky was too lol).

Another easy way is the amp's fuse/s, if its below 50A then 8AWG is fine, above it then 4AWG.