Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Distrubtion

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Hey guys,
I have a power distribution block for powering my amps. It is just a new one that dad had lying around the house. But anyway it has 0 gauge input and 8 gauge outputs. I currently have a 4 gauge cable for power to my mono block so was just going to jam that into the input. Is 8 gauge output going to be good enough for my 2 amps? I am assuming its going to be fine but figured I would double check before going and buying more cables. Cheers.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
How long is a piece of string?

Will need amp specs before you can do any calculations on cable suitability...

Its like asking how much food will i need to feed my family.. without specifying how many people will be eating.

aZk.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
What amps?

Personally, I'd go down to JB HiFi or Autobarn and buy one with the correct input and output size holes for the wire. They're only around $20-30.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ah ok well one amp is a 900 watt mono block putting out 275 watts RMS @ 4 ohms and the other is a 300 watt 2ch one putting out 60 - 75 watts RMS on each channel (60watts @ 4ohms, 75watts @ 2ohms). Is that what all you needed to know?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
Well, i have 2 alpine amps being run from a single 8ga run to the boot which works fine here. My amps are 500W RMS x1 and 110W RMS x4.

Not sure if that helps, but one would think my amps would draw more current then yours, and they power fine.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Well, i have 2 alpine amps being run from a single 8ga run to the boot which works fine here. My amps are 500W RMS x1 and 110W RMS x4.

Not sure if that helps, but one would think my amps would draw more current then yours, and they power fine.

Yeah sure it works fine, but adding a 4AWG cable to power your monoblock only and using the 8AWG to power your speaker amp will see a definate increase is power output from the amps, not to mention the voltage drop you'll be getting from trying to draw more current through the 8AWG cable. This results in the amps actually "getting" a lower voltage when youve got the volume up.

When you want more from your system, dont worry about buying / upgrading components for the time being, just buy a 4AWG power cable kit.... ;)

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah sorry mate just keep the runs of 8AWG short in between the D.B. and amps (<1m).
It will handle it fine. One of the reasons why we run such a large cable from the battery to boot is because length is one of the killers as far as current goes.....the longer a cable, the less efficent it becomes in pulling amps ;)