Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power gains from CAI & air filter

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
good choice, and kopper mate paying 100 bucks for a better flowing filter which can be cleaned and reused instead of buying a new more restrictive filter every service, dosn't sound like a waste of money when i think of it. I used the k&n when i was running the factory hsv cai and i noticed a big difference between it and a stock one, plus you save money in the long run!!

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
To each, his own my friend. Everybody has their opinion. I have been there and done that, and that is my result. Half the tests say the flow is increased and half of them show a K&N with a reduced flow when compared to a paper filter. Who knows. If you replace a $10 filter, every year, with a brand new one, it will work out cheaper than a $130 (K&N Filter and cleaning kit can easily cost this). You would need to keep the car for 13 years to break even. Unless you planning on keeping the car that long - you probably arent saving yourself any $

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm gunna stick my neck out here and say that in the last 4 years and 70,000km I havent even changed the airfilter once. Why?.....its still clean. If you only do city and a bit of country driving then the filter will not get dirty enough to be changed until when you inspect the filter and (using common sense) it appears "dirty". Roads are now sealed with that new-fangled thing called bitumen. No dust from the road anymore.
I won't comment on the CAI 'cause I'll get into trouble.

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
you should notice a little bit, it will rev a bit more freely, your next job is a good exhaust, then get it all dyno tuned, and you should see good gains, enough to spin in first and second!!

Errr.. I don't like the chances. The increases would be so minimal that there is no need for a retune, as the stock ecu would be able to allow for it.
What you're saying is that it would be worth retuning your car every day, depending on whether it's going to be hot or cold.

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
Errr.. I don't like the chances. The increases would be so minimal that there is no need for a retune, as the stock ecu would be able to allow for it.
What you're saying is that it would be worth retuning your car every day, depending on whether it's going to be hot or cold.

He's talking about doing a tune up after you get an exhaust plus the filter fitted!!!!!

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
That's what I mean.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
I find it funny how every 1 thinks that these mods will make this unbelievable gain in power?

So, if i took my car to a Dyno, and asked them to tune the standard ECU... What exactly are they going to do to it, with out either chipping it or having a piggy back ECU running on it?

Ive got a CAI, K&N panel filter, extractors n a 2 1/4in Exhaust. I still get miserable fuel economy, Ive replaced the O2 sensor, the fuel filter, replaced the injectors, cleaned the TB, reset the ECU, drive it like a nana!!!

And hang on...... It still goes like a stock V6 Commodore.... hang on..... thats cause it is.

The gains in power u would get would be comparable to like driving around on a full tank of fuel versus driving around on an empty tank of fuel.... or having a passenger in the car versus not having a passenger!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Ive got a CAI, K&N panel filter, extractors n a 2 1/4in Exhaust. I still get miserable fuel economy, Ive replaced the O2 sensor, the fuel filter, replaced the injectors, cleaned the TB, reset the ECU, drive it like a nana!!!

I just filled my VS up when the low fuel chime went on - 47 litres for 437km. Thats for mixed town and country driving with air on and driven at the speed limit. How does that compare with what you are getting Slow VR?

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
i have a cai and besides hear a little sucking noise wen the stereo is off and i rev the engine it does nothing else. im sure it is better for the car but power wise and fuel economy there is no difference

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
Well a few of you guys are apparently not schooled in dyno tuning, You can put an exhaust on and get some gains, but until you get your computer remapped( chip rewritten ) you will not get the full gains. Do you think that you can just put in a cam, do some head work and it is going to go like the clappers, chances are it won't run, if it does it will run like a pig.
You don't have change your chip, wat do you think chipping it is, it is a generic programme written onto a chip allowing for certain mods, every motor is different so you will not get the best result from this method. You can have your chip rewritten when on a dyno, do you think the efi cars that are putting out big numbers just got a chip of the shelf, NO..
Unless you have done it and know how it works, don't knock it, i'm giving him advice on previous experiance.
His might only be a v6, but the rules still apply for all motors.
You can take a brand spankers new car off the showroom floor and take it to a good tuner and they will get a power increase out of it.
With the mods you have done SLOW VR, your computer cannot adjust to the mods and that is why your car goes as slow as my 72 year old grandmother..