Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power gains from CAI & air filter

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
I find it funny how every 1 thinks that these mods will make this unbelievable gain in power?

So, if i took my car to a Dyno, and asked them to tune the standard ECU... What exactly are they going to do to it, with out either chipping it or having a piggy back ECU running on it?

Ive got a CAI, K&N panel filter, extractors n a 2 1/4in Exhaust. I still get miserable fuel economy, Ive replaced the O2 sensor, the fuel filter, replaced the injectors, cleaned the TB, reset the ECU, drive it like a nana!!!

And hang on...... It still goes like a stock V6 Commodore.... hang on..... thats cause it is.

The gains in power u would get would be comparable to like driving around on a full tank of fuel versus driving around on an empty tank of fuel.... or having a passenger in the car versus not having a passenger!

I don't think anyone here was expecting or hoping for big power gains by simply fitting a CAI!

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
You won't notice any power gains if that is what you are asking

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
With the mods you have done SLOW VR, your computer cannot adjust to the mods and that is why your car goes as slow as my 72 year old grandmother..

Are u suggesting commodores are slow? U may offend several others on this forum with a comment like that, as im sure that plenty of others here have exactly the same mods as I.

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
Mate i drive a commy, don't take it personally, but the fact is if you do to many mods to a motor and not get it tuned properly you can actually make it go slower instead of quicker.
I originaly said that if you got a good exhaust,cai and filter then got it tuned, there are significant gains to be had.
Dyno machines aren't there just to see who puts out the most power, they enable the tuner to tune the car in real time as if you were driving down the street. They can tune it so it runs as economical as possible, or they can try and get as much power out of it as they can, but you can't have both, one is going to suffer.
AND TO EVERYONE IN THE FORUM, V6's with minor mods are not the fastest things around, they are not slow by anymeans but compared to other things on the road with similar spec engines they are not at the top of the pile, but hey we drive wat we can afford, and sometimes wat we can't.
Unless you are going to spend $$$$$ don't expect miracles, but we can all do our best by doing mods that give as the best bang for buck, or if you are after saving $$ then follow that route.
Live the dream!!!

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
My VS is stock apart from the CAI and K&N filter, and it is a bit more economical and responsive. Id say its only worth doing if its the start of bigger things tho

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
agreed, everyone knows that running cold air into your car is better, thats wat scoops were made for. And if that cold air is going to pass through alot easier well it can only be more benificial. An exhaust will inturn make things better then top it off with a tune.
just putting a cai and filter is only going to make the car a bit more responsive, burn the fuel a little better. It is still a good mod even if you dont do anything else..

BnSuter

Meow Meow F**kin' wow
Reaction score
Victoria, I'm from the country an I like it that w
Members Ride
VS S2 S pack ute
I've Got 2.5" cat back exhaust, SS air induction kit and K&N filter, By far the exhaust has been the best mod for power. I'm getting pacemaker extractors next week and a high flow cat $750 fitted i didn't know if that was steep but worth the power i reacon. waiting on my sequentual injection gas to be installed with gas chip and dyno tuned thats where the power will come from.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Any power or fuel gains are due to cool air reaching the t/b, the old VS had impressive < 7lit/100k fuel use at 95kph highway only being gentle on the throttle with no a/c or power mode and custom CAI.

Like the young petrol head with a noisy exhaust, it's good for nothing in reality but annoying the neighbours and attracting cops, but the added noise gives the "mind" at least 20HP, yeah right NOT.

Around town with the A/C off, driving gently gave the same eco V6 just under 12 Lit/100k which aint bad for an engine with 250k on it.

However with either air filter driving around town driving the same with the CAI, fuel and power are so identical you would not know, it's the air temp not the filter.

In hindsight the expense of the filter + recharge kit would be better spent on either a good custom made CAI setup or buying fuel.

The point being, CAI by definition means the engine is breathing ambient air temp, with the air box and inlet hose probably going to near 200 deg there is no chance of the engine getting cool air, the entire inlet setup has to be insulated from underhood temps, or your simply pissin into the wind.

Once insulated and isolated from heat the gains will be noticeable at the foot and wallet, until then any attempt of feeding ambient air to the t/b is useless while the inlet path is so hot, either keep it stock of do it properly.

From what I read the average for a stock V6 eco is 15-16 in town and 10-12 or so on the highway, a lead foot could near double that easy, all other items like fuel filters being in good nic, those figure will then drop once the engine is really getting cool air.