Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power gains from CAI & air filter

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
Look, i don't care wat is said, a cai and filter is benificial for your car, doing the exhaust and tuning it is the next step, AND in my opinion the most important. I have run a cai by the way of a pod mounted in the passenger side gaurd in front of the tyre. It ran upto the bootom of the airbox, it worked a real treat, so there is an idea for you young guys and girls out there. It seems most of the people who have talked in this thread own a v6. So i don't think that you are that nieve that you are chasing big power gains. Digisol talks alot about how race cars and the like run this and that, well for a little v6 you can do so much then the extra you do is a waste because the tb can only suck in so much. It has been proven time and again that the simple mods that you guys want to undertake do in fact give you gains.
Digisol is in his rights to his opinion, but the bottom line is you are driving street cars. Do the mods enjoy the change in sound or the little surge you get from your motor breathing that little more, enjoy your hobby and don't take things to seriously, when finances are right and you want more power, trade it in for an 8 or make it a weekend warrior and add some forced induction.
LIVE THE DREAM!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if you want to insulate your intake duct, get a roll of 50ft, 2" header wrap and go for gold on your intake duct. the next step is to do a sectioned pod filter for increased throttle responce, sectioned to stop the heat from the engine bay getting into the intake(as per the attached pic). in the pic you can see the intake tube wrapped with theader tape. my next mod will be to replace the original intake tube with silicon tube to make the intake duct smooth so there is less turbulance in the intake. which will also be wrapped with header tape to insulate it further from the exhaust heat. another little mod you can do is to take your intake manifold to HPC and get them to coat it with a thermal barrier coating inside the intake to keep the intake charge cooler again and also a thermal barrier coating underneath the manifold to stop the hot oil in the engine valley from heating the intake manifold. every little bit helps:yeah:

Attachments

• sectioned-pod-filter-002.jpg
    sectioned-pod-filter-002.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,751

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
And by this time , you have spent alot of money, and the gains would be minimal. these mods are going a little bit further than a cia, filter, exhaust and tune. If you are willing to fork out that much money, you would be better off buying a car with more grunt, because you are chasing a white ninja. No offence immortality. I dig wat you are doing, but all that coating is a bit overboard for a daily driver, next you will be pollishing the valley so the oil drains away quicker, so 1- you oil gets back to the pan quicker, and 2- the oil escapes quicker so it doesn't heat up the air to much, lol

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
when finances are right and you want more power, trade it in for an 8

Or forget about cylinders and get real with a Turbo Rotor.

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
hey you only quoted half that sentence!!
And wrong forum if you like rotors!!