Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Generator, Petrol or Diesel?

Petrol or Diesel genny

• Total voters

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As the title says, thinking about getting a small generator for around the house, mostly emergency use but what is better petrol or diesel.

Cheers

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
for around the house and basic camping kind of use, just get as linked above, something that runs on petrol, like the Honda Generator.

Trying to think when ive actually seen diesel versions in use, and beyond ones that are designed for heavy industrial (ie big construction and normally needing at minimum a forklift or crane to move) I would say I personally haven't seen a diesel one.

so basically just stick to the easy to get one and easy to find parts for.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah petrol because they don't smell as bad as diesel.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
how much do you want to spend?? we just got a backup gene from trade tested for work - do hosting - we got a 6.5kVA Digital Inverter Generator in Diesel with Remote start but probably a bit of an overkill for you..

But have a look at what they have, not badly priced either..

This one looks good at $ 529.00 and at 2.5kVa you could probably boil the kettle and do other things at the same time :) - Kettles SUCK POWER
https://www.tradetested.co.nz/2-8kva-petrol-generator-with-electric-start.html

Here is their generator range...
https://www.tradetested.co.nz/tools-hardware/generators.html

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
for around the house and basic camping kind of use, just get as linked above, something that runs on petrol, like the Honda Generator.

Trying to think when ive actually seen diesel versions in use, and beyond ones that are designed for heavy industrial (ie big construction and normally needing at minimum a forklift or crane to move) I would say I personally haven't seen a diesel one.

so basically just stick to the easy to get one and easy to find parts for.
We use a diesel one when away hunting as it makes life easier since everyone's cars run on diesel.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
We do most of our cooking with gas and always have a good supply, more than enough for a couple of weeks, I'm thinking more about keeping the fridge and deep freezer running. My only thought is storing petrol as it goes stale fairly quickly and thought diesel might be a better option but petrol would do.

piston_broke

Reaction score
Members Ride
ssv ute , Range Rover Vogue
We do most of our cooking with gas and always have a good supply, more than enough for a couple of weeks, I'm thinking more about keeping the fridge and deep freezer running. My only thought is storing petrol as it goes stale fairly quickly and thought diesel might be a better option but petrol would do.

We lose our power all the time here, [cyclones, storms etc!] and pretty similar to what you've just mentioned, i brought a cheap chinese 3.5 kva diesel inverter generator 10 yrs ago off ebay. Well, i started it the other day, [power off again!], and it's still going pretty good, and another good thing to do is get your house wired so you can just plug it straight into the electrical box and away ya go.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
First off, how many kva do you need?

I have a 3.5kva Toolex for work. It runs a Honda GX200 motor and it's brilliant. It cost $995 which is much cheaper than the equivalent Honda model and just as good.

You could get a cheap Chinese POS but good luck finding spare parts, at least with a brand name all you need to do is go to a mower shop and they'll usually have what you need.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
We use a diesel one when away hunting as it makes life easier since everyone's cars run on diesel.

yeah I kind of forgot about that idea.
if everything else runs on one type of fuel then stick with it.
a bit like battery tools, you stick with one type :p