Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power limit of mods with VF1 SSV stock exhaust

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6 turbo tuned to 300 rwkw's. VF SSV
I am wanting to go stock centre pipe on my VF1 SSV Wagon to eliminate horrible drone (has 3" cat back system currently too loud just bought the car)

What is the power limit as far as mods go with stock 2.25" mid pipe? I'm talking otr/tune etc
Could I achieve 300 rwkw's? Probably not!
I already have new 2.5" rear mufflers which may be less restrictive.
I realise a cam with stock centre pipe would be a bit of a waste of time.

Don't really want to go for a 2.5" centre pipe in case it still drones.

I did a search but could not really find the info I was after.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u can fit factory rear mufflers on it that will help alot and not affect anything

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
Quote: if u can fit factory rear mufflers on it that will help alot and not affect anything

Even with a full 3" cat back system in a wagon?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
not all will mate up as some aftermarket are connected at different angle but if it does then it will help, i was running the stock rears mufflers on my cheap 2.5" system because of the drone, made big difference, if u have nothing in the center then it may be good to add a muffler there but if u do already then the rears should make a good difference, the wagon is worse tho so may be good for someone to respond with one that has sorted it out so u know which direction to head

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have sourced a stock 2.25" mid pipe and a Walkinshaw 2.5" mid pipe but am undecided, I fear that the 2.5" Walky will still drone.

If I go back to a stock system what is my power limit as far as mods go?
eg. My xr6 turbo was 300 rwkw's (500 HP@ engine) on stock exhaust other than a high flow cat.

The rear 3" mufflers on my VF SSV wagon were stuffed so I had an exhaust place replace them with Zetti 2.5" mufflers. It helped somewhat but 3" pipes from cats to rears is still a source of the drone. I can get stock SS rears though but I love the look of the new 3" tips on my Zettis LOL

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
i was running the stock rears mufflers on my cheap 2.5" system because of the drone, made big difference,
It's mystifying how no one in the aftermarket were smart enough to use "big" rear sports mufflers to limit drone. A 9" round straight through 15" long muffler will fit nicely and remedy the drone of the little oval resonators most use.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
It's mystifying how no one in the aftermarket were smart enough to use "big" rear sports mufflers to limit drone. A 9" round straight through 15" long muffler will fit nicely and remedy the drone of the little oval resonators most use.
yea so much room back there for a decent size straight thru but still kept to a minimum

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride

When I bought my VF SSV wagon I immediately took it to an exhaust place to try and eliminate the dreadful drone from the 3" system. The exhaust place put two 14" x 9" 2.5 inch oval rear mufflers on it because the old ones had holes in them. It helped to a degree with the drone, but i am hoping that by replacing the 3" centre pipe with a stock 2.25" one it will eliminate the drone.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
yea so much room back there for a decent size straight thru but still kept to a minimum
Most people will accept a performance exhaust a bit on the quiet side, but a droney exhaust becomes intolerable for most aside from a dedicated "boy racer". Buy or fabricate the biggest mufflers that'll fit in the rear then adjust noise level on the midpipe configuration works best.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Most people will accept a performance exhaust a bit on the quiet side, but a droney exhaust becomes intolerable for most aside from a dedicated "boy racer". Buy or fabricate the biggest mufflers that'll fit in the rear then adjust noise level on the midpipe configuration works best.
alot of variables plays a roll too, mine went from absolute garbage drone would have set the car on fire to about 50% better just from when i changed to aftermarket clutch, the different load on the engine changes it big time, also why the autos with the load of the converter can make it worse