Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power limit of mods with VF1 SSV stock exhaust

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6 turbo tuned to 300 rwkw's. VF SSV
Won't do alot if it tuned on 91

Unless the tuner just uploaded a 98 file and put it on the dyno

I would definitely ask the tuner which fuel is on the file
It went lean on the pre-tune dyno run so probably was a 98 file. My fault, it was up to me to make sure it has the correct fuel in it prior to tuning. It would have been been a mix of quarter tank 91 and quarter tank 98. Tuned on half a tank of fuel. Pretty impressive result considering the octane it was tuned on!

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
Would definitely want the firmer shifts in sports mode, not just manual mode.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would definitely want the firmer shifts in sports mode, not just manual mode.
Don't know why it wasn't tuned that way but may be a reason. Firm shifts in sport mode was what it was originally going to have. I was informed that it's only in manual mode after the tune.

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
I guess there's variation in the tunes from different establishments but mine shifts firmer in sports and manual mode.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think mine has firmer shifts in sports and manual mode too, but it's more pronounced in manual mode than sport mode. I really haven't tested it properly for 1st to 2nd shifts in various modes. I have an 80 kph and 100 kph highway near where I live so I will test it. The engine cut out pause between 1st and 2nd (in drive or sport mode) as it hits the rev limiter is more of an issue for me than the shifts. Rev limiter should really only cut in when in manual mode self shifting. The shift point rpm between 1st and 2nd needs to be dropped to prevent the rev limiter cutting out the engine.....or the rev limiter rpm raised LOL but I think that's only done with major upgrades like cams etc.

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I think mine has firmer shifts in sports and manual mode too, but it's more pronounced in manual mode than sport mode. I really haven't tested it properly for 1st to 2nd shifts in various modes. I have an 80 kph and 100 kph highway near where I live so I will test it. The engine cut out pause between 1st and 2nd (in drive or sport mode) as it hits the rev limiter is more of an issue for me than the shifts. Rev limiter should really only cut in when in manual mode self shifting. The shift point rpm between 1st and 2nd needs to be dropped to prevent the rev limiter cutting out the engine.....or the rev limiter rpm raised LOL but I think that's only done with major upgrades like cams etc.
the TUTD can have different lockup apply/release points as well which may be why it feels different also to sport mode ie changing gear with an applied clutch v released clutch will feel different when the gear changes but either is adjustable for firmer shifts individually

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
the TUTD can have different lockup apply/release points as well which may be why it feels different also to sport mode ie changing gear with an applied clutch v released clutch will feel different when the gear changes but either is adjustable for firmer shifts individually

I asked for manual and sport mode to be tuned the same and there is a very slight difference to them under similar throttle input. Must be why, thanks.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
If the transmission shifts were sorted it would be great. He is a good tuner with great reviews
100% go and chat with them, they should be able to do a touch up tune without much issue.
Probably one of the things i wish i had done.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
100% go and chat with them, they should be able to do a touch up tune without much issue.
Probably one of the things i wish i had done.
Just been driving it today. Sometimes it hits the rev limiter and pauses, other times it shifts firmly into 2nd whether it's in drive or sport mode. I noticed that when it shifts properly into 2nd it does so at about 5800 rpm. But when it hits the limiter and cuts out it's at approx 6000 rpm. It is great when it shifts firmly into 2nd gear and keeps pulling, reminds me of my old 500HP xr6t but sounds better!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea depends on the rate the rpm increases as to how far it will go into the limiter, some must be barely getting there to others just starts the clip which upsets the change, would be worth mentioning it as the tuner may not have know it was happening