Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power of a worked 304???

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
I was just wondering if anyone here has a vt 5L or even vn-vs 5L with some basic Head, Cam, computer, exhaust and cai mods.
If so what sort of power have ya got, and what have you done to it.
As it is my car is basically stock with just extractors, twin 2.5 inch cat back system, running stock cats and a k&n filter.
Im trying to work out whether to spend $$$ on the 304 or sell up and get into an ls1.

geardys

GEARDY
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 v8 ute 5sp
atm u should have around the 180 to 190 kw mark @ the fly.
those mods u have stated should produce between 200 - 250 kw's. the spec's of the cam and the amount of head work undertaken with determine those figures.

Ls1 are good but they don't sound anywhere near as good as a 5 ltr or 350/355 stroker and the eariler ls1 had a few problems.

i guess in the end its up to you.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
hey ive got a stage 3 cam, port matched and polished heads,flat top pistons, shaved head, ported intake manifold, K&N filter, 1,5/8 inch extractors,2 1/2 inch exhaust and a doctor bob chip ;)
make 151 rwk and about 220kw at the fly and it beats most gen 3's in sound and speed so im happy :D

geardys

GEARDY
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 v8 ute 5sp
the 220kw's sounds spot on.
the vt with roller rockers and squential fuel injection sould produce 10 kw's or more and if u blue print and add a different cam, you should be spot on the 250w mark.

btw the HRT Vt 5.7ltr black option motor (or stroker version of the 5ltr in the Vt) produced 230kw and 500nm.

cheers

jdjones

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs11 clubby 185i
boona15 said:
hey ive got a stage 3 cam, port matched and polished heads,flat top pistons, shaved head, ported intake manifold, K&N filter, 1,5/8 inch extractors,2 1/2 inch exhaust and a doctor bob chip ;)
make 151 rwk and about 220kw at the fly and it beats most gen 3's in sound and speed so im happy :D
i have a near stock vs 185i clubby and with only a custom memcal (on the dyno) and a 3inch cat back mandrel sing,le cat and it makes 147rwkw.i think with ur set up u should be making a bit more power.i have seen another vs 5.0 non hsv with a twin cat exhaust,crane 284,9.0.1 comp ratio,and roller rockers and no port job and that made 170rwkw

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
jdjones said:
i have a near stock vs 185i clubby and with only a custom memcal (on the dyno) and a 3inch cat back mandrel sing,le cat and it makes 147rwkw.i think with ur set up u should be making a bit more power.i have seen another vs 5.0 non hsv with a twin cat exhaust,crane 284,9.0.1 comp ratio,and roller rockers and no port job and that made 170rwkw[/Q

]Is a crane 284 a bastard to drive? and is i more 4 low down, mid or high revving. I want something that sounds lumpy but not a pain in the ass to drive and with more of a mid to high rev range.
Also whats involved in changing compression, is that like shaving the heads or something.
Thanks heaps for the advise fellas,
P.S went for a test drive in a stocka vx ss 6spd, and im a bit disapointed in it, i like the way the 5L makes its power wheras the ls1 had a different power curve. Also it had no lumpy v8 sound to it, just a crappy whisper, even though it had a cat back exhaust.[/SIZE]

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
vtss5spd said:
I was just wondering if anyone here has a vt 5L or even vn-vs 5L with some basic Head, Cam, computer, exhaust and cai mods.
If so what sort of power have ya got, and what have you done to it.
As it is my car is basically stock with just extractors, twin 2.5 inch cat back system, running stock cats and a k&n filter.
Im trying to work out whether to spend $$$ on the 304 or sell up and get into an ls1.
385bhp on a 308 pree77 carburetted