Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Problems when turning.

Luckyday

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Vs Series 3 Commodore Ute
Hey Guys,

New to the forums but thought one of you may be able to help out with a problem i am having. Im currently running a 1999 vs series 3 ute which i recently purchased.

The car is losing power when turning right and has died on me whilst turning. This seems to only be on very wide cornering.

Any ideas? I have had some problems with fuel as the car doesnt respond well to E10 but im currently running it on premium with a new filter.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas on fixes.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
define wide cornering ? what speeds are you doing ? does the fuel level have an affect on this problem ? Has the fuel pump been changed or removed from the tank at any stage ???

Luckyday

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wide cornering would be like when i go around a round about or when i swing left a bit more for a sharper turn. Seems to happen most when im going baout 25-30 km/h. I havent replaced the fuel pump at all. fuel level when it died on me was about 1/4 full.

Cheers

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
sounds like the fuel is running away from the swirl pot inside the tank and allow the fuel pump to run dry until the fuel returns common problem with in tank pumps and swirl pots

brinz96VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Calais
could be a failing return fuel line. therefore the fuels not refilling the swirl pot in the tank.
if it dies going around corners at a decent speed with a 1/4 of a tank left that may be it.

Luckyday

Reaction score
Members Ride
So whats the best fix?

New fuel line?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Check the fuel return hose inside the tank that goes to the swirl pot from the pump assembly.When the fuel pump is renewed some people manage to break this return hose off at the swirl pot when removing the old pump.Its probably easier to get another fuel tank but some people on here have sucessfully repaired them.Im not to sure about the ute setup though.Ive only ever replaced the sedan fuel pumps.Another thing is you need to use special submersible fuel line (hose) inside the tank.

Last edited:

Luckyday

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the help guys ill have a look at the fuel tank and hopefully repair it without having to replace to replace the fuel tank.

Cheer again.

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
only way to fix a broken return line is to cut the tank open.. heaps easier just to replace the tank.
If you search there is a thread where someone has cut his tank to repair and it has pics and how to.. but welding a fuel tank you take your own risks..