Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steer belt squeal.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I know this subject covered many times but I am still at a loss with my vh. I have just fitted a new power steer pump after the last one started squealing on start up. I followed the instructions in the manual. Start up for three seconds and then turn off Lift front of car and turn steering wheel backwards and forwards. They didn't say how often but I did it quite a few times. The power steer belt though not replaced is tensioned properly and seems to be in good condition and the pulleys align. I took the car for a 20 k run, all was well. When I parked in the garage and restarted the car the squealing started again though briefly. The fluid levels are ok and checked as per manual. Help

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
V belts are cheap, try a new belt and get that sucker tight. The car manuals say not to lever against the pump body but I've use a bit of wood with a flat edge against the pump body so it won't damage it and use that to get a decent amount of tension.