Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power steering and brake pad question

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
First of all, the power steering pump pulley has a wobble. When it spins you can see that it is out of balance or something by a few mm's. Does this mean the pump is stuffed? Or bearings are stuffed? Do i have to replace the whole pump or can i just buy a new pulley? The pump also makes winding noises sometimes when turning at a slow speed.

Now with my brakes. I have noticed that im in need of new pads. Im after some pads that dont make too much brake dust because im sick of cleaning my wheels every few days. And also would i have to get the rotors machined? or will it be alright to just put new pads in. The rotors are pretty new.

Cheers.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
bendex ct's are a good general porpose pad and have verry low dust

as for the p/s pump the wobble it as comon at the car its self. if you want to change the pump you re use the pully, i dont think changing the pully will make a difference

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
if the pump is starting to make noises it could be on the way out. they are pretty quick to change.. won't take ya long

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i have to keep toping it up. Its got a leak. but i make sure its always full. And will i have to get the rotors machined?? cheers

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
How come the disc look new but the pads are worn?

In any case disc cost about $20 each to machine but you need to make sure they aren't close to the minimum thickness.

New DBA rotors are pretty cheap these days particularly if you wait for a sale so often it is not much more expensive to replace the disc rotor.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
How come the disc look new but the pads are worn?

because the brake pad shines/poloshes the rotor then they become glazed and this makes the braking force less powerfull.
new rotors are always a dull rough finish so the new brake pads have some thing to grab.
the friction causes the steel in the rotors to become shiny,

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well im going by the lip on the outa edge of the rotor. There is hardly any lip so i guessed that they are not worn out much. Well no where near as bad as the rear. i know the rear needs new rotors. The lip on the outa edge is huge. i think they are still original rotors but the fronts are not original ones.

Edit: and you dont have to change the rotor everytime you change pads do you???

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Edit: and you dont have to change the rotor everytime you change pads do you???

No, you're good to just do pads without rotors because the pads wear out much more quickly. Just replace the rotors when they reach minimum thickness or you warp or crack them.