Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Cooler?

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
I've picked a small transmission cooler for free and I am wondering whether I could use it for the power steering instead? Would there be any benefit in running a cooler for the power steering fluid or is it a waste of time?

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
Just put it on. ive got one, its amazing how hot the power steering fluid gets.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
some have a simple PS cooler fitted. factory cooler is simply a steel line that runs in front of the radiator.

definitly fit it. i have one on mine. especially important if you like to do the odd bit of racing and maintain consistent high RPM. have heard of the factory plastic reservoir deforming from excessive heat

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Can't see the harm in fitting one, My power steering reservoir used to overflow after a serious flogging because it got so warm.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Might be a good time to express my ponderings. Ive got an auto radiator so the trans cooler is currently doing nothing. Worth routing the power steering return line through it? It sounded like a good idea at first, but what gets hotter? Coolant or power steering fluid? :)

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Thanks for the responses chaps.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Unless you tow a caravan there is no need. Dana, the people who manufacture power steering systems say: "Power steering oil coolers are commonly found on higher performance or specialty vehicles, vehicles with increased trailer towing capacity, large car platforms, SUV’s and Trucks.
The oil only gets hot when the steering is under stress - reverseing a caravan, carpark valet services, circle work etc. Personal choice I suppose.

VN_chris

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore S
i need one of these, the vn v6 looses way to much power steering fluid during a flogging.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Unless you tow a caravan there is no need. Dana, the people who manufacture power steering systems say: "Power steering oil coolers are commonly found on higher performance or specialty vehicles, vehicles with increased trailer towing capacity, large car platforms, SUV’s and Trucks.
The oil only gets hot when the steering is under stress - reverseing a caravan, carpark valet services, circle work etc. Personal choice I suppose.

Pretty sure it also heats up at high RPM, because the pump is smashing the fluid through the circuit like no tomorrow... even just the pump friction at 5000 engine rpm will produce a hell of a lot of heat in that fluid, which isn't good for plastic tanks, rubber lines and o rings..

I think

Sam