Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power steering creaking

Schitzo06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS S2
I have a VR SS and the steering is creaking when I turn the wheel I just had all bushes replaced and a 28pt inspection from pedders and they said it needed a good power steering service but was otherwise really good any help would be appreciated

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Probably coming from where the shaft goes thru the bulkhead below the brake master cylinder - there is a plastic 'grommet' which gets dry and groans when you turn the wheel. Dodgy steering shops/mechanics have been known to make a lot of money oiling these and then charging for a new steering rack etc. You can grease it or spray with WD40 or similar - best accessed from under the car on a ramp or on the gutter.

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
Probably coming from where the shaft goes thru the bulkhead below the brake master cylinder - there is a plastic 'grommet' which gets dry and groans when you turn the wheel. Dodgy steering shops/mechanics have been known to make a lot of money oiling these and then charging for a new steering rack etc. You can grease it or spray with WD40 or similar - best accessed from under the car on a ramp or on the gutter.

Mine does that too, grind turning the wheel even with the engine off, could you please describe exactly where the place that needs greasing is?? thanks.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
You need to get under the car and find the steering rack. Look around for the shaft that is coming from the steering wheel to the rack. Where the shaft goes into the inside of the car there is the grommet hako is referring to that stops water, dirt etc coming into the car. Its hard to see, so you just have to use your hand and follow the shaft up as far as you can go. You will feel the grommet. You then get your lubricant and give it a good spray.

Last edited:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
You're both exactly right. Mine did the same thing until a local mechanic packed it with grease. I knew what it was but couldn't reach it myself. Easier to do when on a hoist.

You need to get under the car and find the steering rack. Look around for the shaft that is coming from the steering wheel to the rack. Where the shaft goes into the inside of the car there is the grommet hako is referring to that stops water, dirt etc coming into the car. Its hard to see, so you just have to use your hand and follow the shaft up as far as you can go. You will feel the grommet. You then get your lubricant and give it a good spray.

John Kessels

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6

Great, I will try this. having same kind of noise coming from my sv6. Cheers.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You can also apply grease from the top without having to go underneath the car. I used a long piece of bamboo (just happened to have it handy) to apply the grease to the grommet. It's a great fix, the noise is really annoying.