Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering failure at high rpm

Adam93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE1 Sv6
Hey guys, I've just had an engine replacement in my sv6 and everything is going well except for one thing...

I am experiencing a loss of power steering at high rpms and when it does happen it is extremely hard to turn the wheel at all (more than compared with old cars with no power steering)!

At lower speeds its mostly fine except sometimes it dances between being slightly stiffer and then looser (it kind of feels like the wheels are tracking on crappy melted tar roads, but its just the power steering).

The car has some mods transferred from my old motor - extractors, under drive pulley. the rest is stock.

After a few minutes the steering returns to normal. I can drive it around perfectly fine as long as i don't touch 4k rpm or more but yeah it's a little concerning nonetheless.

I will obviously be calling up the workshop this week to let them know but is there anything i can check now to make it a quick fix? id rather not take time off work to fix her up.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
You have of course checked the oil level for the power steer, and there is no air in the steer system.

Adam93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE1 Sv6
You have of course checked the oil level for the power steer, and there is no air in the steer system.

there is fluid in the reservoir. not sure how to check for air in the system..?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
belt slip ?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
there is fluid in the reservoir. not sure how to check for air in the system..?

For memory, raise wheels off ground, start engine, and turn steering wheel all the way each way a few times.
Check fluid is the correct level.

Re- belt slip.
I would think you would hear the belt squealing if it were slipping.

I think you should be consulting with a power steer place before it gets you into trouble.
The under drive pulley may have something to do with it but not sure.

Adam93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE1 Sv6
For memory, raise wheels off ground, start engine, and turn steering wheel all the way each way a few times.
Check fluid is the correct level.

Re- belt slip.
I would think you would hear the belt squealing if it were slipping.

I think you should be consulting with a power steer place before it gets you into trouble.
The under drive pulley may have something to do with it but not sure.

Hmm just checked and no squealing with the belts.. Previously there weren't any issues with the under drive pulley and its the same model/year engine. I do notice the belt tensioner jump around a lot even at idle and i can't remember if my original motor did the same thing.

In saying that it is the belt slipping due to stretching/tensioner issues, i would think the power steering system would re engage a lot sooner after the rpm falls and re engages the power steering pulley but it takes a few minutes before gradually coming back.

Thanks for your input rambunctious.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I'd say the pump's on it's way out. High revs at full lock (donuts) kills them pretty quickly.